2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

need help installing python 413 remote starter on 01 ram

Old 02-23-2012, 12:19 PM
Jordan G
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help installing python 413 remote starter on 01 ram

I have been trying now for 2 days to install this remote starter I got the unit off of ebay and it has been factory refurbished.

I had it hooked up and the truck would try to start but acted as though it was not getting fuel. I had since disconnected the unit and tried again following the wiring guides I found online. When I got my remote starter it didnt come with any directions on how to install.

the picture below is the best picture I can find of my remote starter and how to wire it but I have not had any luck so far if there is anyone who knows exactly how I need to wire this thing to get it working I welcome the help since as of now I am stuck. also I have figured out where to wire the top right 2 wires the orange 500mA ground when locked and the white/blue activation input wires. I have also been told the tach wire has to be run to the computer on the firewall is this correct? And the neutral safety shutdown wire I am also having an issue with.

Thank You to any help given,

Jordan

Old 02-23-2012, 12:28 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,170 Likes on 2,923 Posts

Download the 01 factory service manual from the faq section here, and check out the electrical section, it will help you find where all those wires go.....

Old 02-23-2012, 12:59 PM
Jordan G

ok I will give it a try and thanks

Old 02-29-2012, 09:09 AM
Jordan G

Hi again,
After a lot of trial and error and a few phone calls I have the remote starter working all except for the door locks. I called thumpin car audio and their tech told me I need to put resistors on the power door lock but would tell me which resistors I need. He also said that they run on the same wire and that the pulse sent through the wire is the reason for the resistor since one would send one pulse and the other would send a different size pulse through the wire telling the truck to lock/unlock can anyone help me out here? Also does anyone know do I need a resistor for the parking lights? I have been looking and one guy on here mentioned he had to put one on but his lights still do not work.
Thanks All,
Jordan

Old 02-29-2012, 09:33 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Not sure why you would need resistors......

Looking at the wiring diagrams, there are two wires you need to deal with. Orange with Black trace, and Pink with black trace. (the wires change colors at connectors 345 and 346, which are by/in the doors? might take a look at where the harness plugs together above the drivers feet, where the harness goes thru the body, to the rubber boot, into the door.) Apply power to one wire to lock doors, apply power to other wire to unlock doors. Trouble is, both wires are normally grounded...... may have to interrupt the ground on the wire you are applying power to, to get them to work... not completely sure.

Last edited by HeyYou; 02-29-2012 at 09:35 AM.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:41 AM
Jordan G

I tried directly connecting them to the wires inside the door rubber boot even cut it open and hooked into the wires there I tried using the orange/black and the pink/black for lock/unlock then also tried the ones for the lock and unlock motor wires dont remember their colors off hand but none of the 4 wires worked. Was gonna try taking off the door panel and connecting directly under the switches and see if that works?

Old 02-29-2012, 09:49 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

The trouble is, I think, under normal circumstances, BOTH wires are grounded. Pushing the switch breaks the ground path on one of the wires, and applies 12 volts to it instead. You may actually need to do a couple relays to make it work, so when you apply power, the relay does the job of the switch.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:53 AM
Jordan G

if this rain stops some time here soon I will go out and see about connecting where you are talking about before the wires go into the door. I need to fix a few things any way while Im on I will give you a good laugh lol. Before I found all the wiring diagrams and things I bought a set of fog lights as this truck did not have them and I wanted a set on the truck well when I would hook them up through a toggle switch it would just seem to blow fuses so I got sick of that and thought I will wire them through the headlights and just have them on whenever I turn on the headlights. Well wonderful me and my playing around I took out the headlight switch and was going through trial and error again to find the wire I needed and I found that when I turned on my parking lights the fog lights came on so I thought thats even better LOL now for the funny part I just found out yesterday I wired them to the dimmer switch and the other day the kids were playing in my truck and roll the dimmer the whole way down so my fog lights were off even when my parking lights were on so Im thinking something went wrong and my lights are busted then I hit the dimmer to turn up my dash lights and I slowly see my fog lights getting brighter LOL so as of moment I have dimming fog lights on my truck which I thought was funny but Im going to fix that here soon but thought I would share it with you and give you a little laugh on my stupidity on how I wired them lol

Old 02-29-2012, 09:55 AM
Jordan G

ok guess its back to trial and error or maybe I will just run it over to thumpin and see what they will charge me just to fix the locks. Hate to layout a bunch of money for something that is probably something I can do on my own

Old 02-29-2012, 10:31 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by Jordan G
if this rain stops some time here soon I will go out and see about connecting where you are talking about before the wires go into the door. I need to fix a few things any way while Im on I will give you a good laugh lol. Before I found all the wiring diagrams and things I bought a set of fog lights as this truck did not have them and I wanted a set on the truck well when I would hook them up through a toggle switch it would just seem to blow fuses so I got sick of that and thought I will wire them through the headlights and just have them on whenever I turn on the headlights. Well wonderful me and my playing around I took out the headlight switch and was going through trial and error again to find the wire I needed and I found that when I turned on my parking lights the fog lights came on so I thought thats even better LOL now for the funny part I just found out yesterday I wired them to the dimmer switch and the other day the kids were playing in my truck and roll the dimmer the whole way down so my fog lights were off even when my parking lights were on so Im thinking something went wrong and my lights are busted then I hit the dimmer to turn up my dash lights and I slowly see my fog lights getting brighter LOL so as of moment I have dimming fog lights on my truck which I thought was funny but Im going to fix that here soon but thought I would share it with you and give you a little laugh on my stupidity on how I wired them lol
That's classic.

You should wire your fogs to a relay controlled by the headlight switch. The wiring for the headlights was marginal to begin with...... and a fair few fires have started because of it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: need help installing python 413 remote starter on 01 ram