2nd Gen Ram Tech1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Any tricks to replacing the Distributor Cap on a 95 Ram 1500 4x4?
One member took off the air box, and laid a piece of plywood from the radiator support, to the throttle body. (cover it with a rag first....) and laid on that to do the cap. Looked like a good idea to me, so, that's what I did as well. works fairly well. Far more comfy than trying to fold yourself up into a pretzel in the engine compartment, and lean down far enough to be able to work on it.
I like my tire step for these kinds of things, but if I had a larger garage I'd have an overhead creeper.
Be careful you don't break the hardware getting the old one off. Apparently the screws like to seize and break upon attempted removal from what I've read here. What I do with potentially seized hardware wherever I encounter it: Whack it with a hammer (to crack the corrosion between threads), then soak it down with penetrating lubricant. And just so it's said: WD-40 is NOT a penetrating lubricant. For the itty bitties like the distributor cap screws, of course, a center punch is used. I don't often break fasteners -- the job takes a little longer than it would if everything would just come out nicely without the additional effort, but a helluva lot less time than hauling out the extraction kit and maybe the Heli-Coil kit.
A bad attitude and a Mega Viper.
Dash isn't cracked, steering doesn't wander, headlights are awesome, has good heat.
i did touch n feel to change mine. i layed onto of the fan bezel, and just poked around, you can accually see the driver side screw if you look deep beside the intake. or underneath near the O2 sensor, just look up. the passenger side is a diffrent story. gotta touch n feel.
1997 Dodge ram 1500 ext.Cab Laramie 2WD -First in, last out. Cobra 18 Plus CB - streethawk 4' Lightbar
10' custom steel whip - working on a custom console