2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transmission VIN Challenge

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 12:32 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Apparently, you got a transition year truck, and it seems to be a bit confused. The temp sensor (part of the pressure sensor) changed between 99-00, and having the wrong one gives you exactly the symptoms you describe. (also disables O/D after a bit.)

Wouldn't hurt to plug in with a scanner, and see what temp the PCM thinks the trans is running at. Might just be a bad sensor.......

Old 06-06-2016, 12:48 PM
TexasBoy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Apparently, you got a transition year truck, and it seems to be a bit confused. The temp sensor (part of the pressure sensor) changed between 99-00, and having the wrong one gives you exactly the symptoms you describe. (also disables O/D after a bit.)

Wouldn't hurt to plug in with a scanner, and see what temp the PCM thinks the trans is running at. Might just be a bad sensor.......
Gotcha, thanks.

I kinda have a hunch this transmission may not be the original one because when I was under there I did see what may have been some markings that you typically see in salvage yards.

If the transmission indeed does turn out to be a 2000-model replacement (meaning not the original one it came with) What could I do to remedy this issue? Could I put a 1999 valve body on this 2000 transmission so I could run the older sensor?

Again, thank for the info and help !

Old 06-06-2016, 05:20 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Actually, I think the only real difference is the clip that holds the governor pressure sensor in...... just swap the sensor/solenoid for the correct year stuff, get the right retainer clip, and you should be down the road.

But, if it wasn't doing this kind of thing before the rebuild, and all the parts match, it shouldn't be doing it now either. That's why I suggest reading the trans temp, and see what it thinks. If it is some truly stupid value, (and not merely "hot") you may be able to just change the pressure sensor, and be done with it.

Old 06-07-2016, 03:52 AM
mmerlinn

Originally Posted by Parts/Service
Lets break this down. First this is not a VIN (Vehicle Identification Number). It is actually a part number with build date. PK means package. 52118426 is the part number for a 46RE transmission out of either a full size van or truck. 2579 is the build date meaning it was build the 257 day and 9th month. It was built September 14, 1996. 7717 is sequence number meaning it was the 7,717 unit built. Was this a test or were you looking for specific info??
This is not correct. If it were correct, how does one explain numbers like 4449, 5550, 6661, 7890, etc appearing in this position? And those numbers DO appear on Chrysler transmissions in this exact same location.

Chrysler used a 10000-day date system for some of their dates. The first day in the 10000-day date system was July 29, 1961. All dates in this system start at that date. Around 1998 or so the new German owners of Chrysler changed this system to some unknown (to me) system for dates, although they used the same location for the dates. Dates in both systems are 4 digits long. By the way, the Germans did not merge with Chrysler until 1998, so the old Chrysler date code system was still in use in 1996.

On December 13, 1988 Chrysler's dates rolled over to 0000 since that was the 10000th day after July 29, 1961. This continued up until the change the Germans made.

So, based on that information, my handy dandy date calculator shows that 2579 was the 12579th day after July 29, 1961. That means that this transmission was manufactured on January 5, 1996, not in September as posted above.

If the OP is still active and still has this vehicle he could compare these dates to the build date of his vehicle. Also, most Chrysler transmissions have a partial VIN stamped or etched SOMEWHERE (could by ANYwhere) on the transmission, often totally unreadable without using sandpaper to smooth the surface where it is located, assuming one does not sand it off in the process.

Do a search about the Chrysler 10000-day date system to learn more about it.

The date code posted by TexasBoy (0130) shows a build date AFTER the Germans made the change. The next rollover date in the Chrysler 10000-day date system would have happened in mid-2005, meaning that the number on TexasBoy's transmission would have been (as a guestimate) somewhere in the 8000s under the old system. The new system MAY be a Julian date format, but until I have examined a few hundred or so, I will just assume that it is an unknown date format.

One last note. The PK noted above was defined as meaning "Package" which, for all I know COULD be correct. However, what does PD, in the exact same position mean then? On rare occasions I have found PD instead of PK, so I question whether PK actually means "Package" or not. On older Chrysler transmissions there are quite often OTHER single letters (or no letters at all) here instead of PK which further dissuades me from believing that PK actually means "Package." BTW I have owned tens of thousands of Chrysler transmission in the last 32 years, have examined tens of thousands of numbers on these transmissions, and have tens of thousands of index cards with information taken from these transmissions.

Anyhow, I saw this inaccuracy, so signed up just to post this correction so others would not make this same mistake in the future.

Last edited by mmerlinn; 06-07-2016 at 04:11 AM. Reason: Added PK paragraph
Old 06-07-2016, 07:59 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by mmerlinn
This is not correct. If it were correct, how does one explain numbers like 4449, 5550, 6661, 7890, etc appearing in this position? And those numbers DO appear on Chrysler transmissions in this exact same location.

Chrysler used a 10000-day date system for some of their dates. The first day in the 10000-day date system was July 29, 1961. All dates in this system start at that date. Around 1998 or so the new German owners of Chrysler changed this system to some unknown (to me) system for dates, although they used the same location for the dates. Dates in both systems are 4 digits long. By the way, the Germans did not merge with Chrysler until 1998, so the old Chrysler date code system was still in use in 1996.

On December 13, 1988 Chrysler's dates rolled over to 0000 since that was the 10000th day after July 29, 1961. This continued up until the change the Germans made.

So, based on that information, my handy dandy date calculator shows that 2579 was the 12579th day after July 29, 1961. That means that this transmission was manufactured on January 5, 1996, not in September as posted above.

If the OP is still active and still has this vehicle he could compare these dates to the build date of his vehicle. Also, most Chrysler transmissions have a partial VIN stamped or etched SOMEWHERE (could by ANYwhere) on the transmission, often totally unreadable without using sandpaper to smooth the surface where it is located, assuming one does not sand it off in the process.

Do a search about the Chrysler 10000-day date system to learn more about it.

The date code posted by TexasBoy (0130) shows a build date AFTER the Germans made the change. The next rollover date in the Chrysler 10000-day date system would have happened in mid-2005, meaning that the number on TexasBoy's transmission would have been (as a guestimate) somewhere in the 8000s under the old system. The new system MAY be a Julian date format, but until I have examined a few hundred or so, I will just assume that it is an unknown date format.

One last note. The PK noted above was defined as meaning "Package" which, for all I know COULD be correct. However, what does PD, in the exact same position mean then? On rare occasions I have found PD instead of PK, so I question whether PK actually means "Package" or not. On older Chrysler transmissions there are quite often OTHER single letters (or no letters at all) here instead of PK which further dissuades me from believing that PK actually means "Package." BTW I have owned tens of thousands of Chrysler transmission in the last 32 years, have examined tens of thousands of numbers on these transmissions, and have tens of thousands of index cards with information taken from these transmissions.

Anyhow, I saw this inaccuracy, so signed up just to post this correction so others would not make this same mistake in the future.
Good information. Thank you.

Although, a 96 trans in a 99 Truck? Do they sit on the shelf that long before being installed?

Old 06-07-2016, 08:37 AM
TexasBoy

Well this confirms it, Im not too bright, cuz now Im confused again. LOL

So you guys are not sure what year this transmission was manufactured?

Actually, I think the only real difference is the clip that holds the governor pressure sensor in...... just swap the sensor/solenoid for the correct year stuff, get the right retainer clip, and you should be down the road.

But, if it wasn't doing this kind of thing before the rebuild, and all the parts match, it shouldn't be doing it now either. That's why I suggest reading the trans temp, and see what it thinks. If it is some truly stupid value, (and not merely "hot") you may be able to just change the pressure sensor, and be done with it.
I dont think you can interchange the transducers.

I will look into getting a reading on what the current sensor is sending, I dont think my el cheapo code-reader has the ability to do that so will have to find someone who can. Sure hope this transducer isnt bad, its literally brand new and came with the solenoid in a kit.

Oh, BTW I called my local dealer and they said that casting number is a "package" or part number and has no bearing on when the trans was built. So much for getting an answer from a dealership, and when I tried to explain the "10,000 Day" thing they acted like I was crazy and "Ive been a Parts Manager for 16 years and never heard of such a thing."

Last edited by TexasBoy; 06-07-2016 at 12:51 PM.
Old 06-07-2016, 12:48 PM
TexasBoy

BTW, thank you sir for taking time to sign up and pass along your knowledge.

Old 06-07-2016, 12:54 PM
mmerlinn

Good information. Thank you.

Although, a 96 trans in a 99 Truck? Do they sit on the shelf that long before being installed?
1) The OP has a 1996 truck, not a 1999 truck. Note the date codes I referenced and who had which code.
2) Transmissions are usually installed within weeks of manufacture except for stock. And that stock, when installed, usually gets installed in trucks that used the same transmission codes as original.
3) A transmission with a case from 1996 might fit a 1999 since the same cases are used. Transmissions with bad cases often get re-cased into a different case from a different year which, of course, makes these numbers meaningless.

Old 06-07-2016, 06:07 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

1) The OP has a 1996 truck, not a 1999 truck. Note the date codes I referenced and who had which code.
2) Transmissions are usually installed within weeks of manufacture except for stock. And that stock, when installed, usually gets installed in trucks that used the same transmission codes as original.
3) A transmission with a case from 1996 might fit a 1999 since the same cases are used. Transmissions with bad cases often get re-cased into a different case from a different year which, of course, makes these numbers meaningless.
Odd, reading back thru the thread a page or so, he states its a 99.

Old 06-08-2016, 01:09 AM
mmerlinn

Odd, reading back thru the thread a page or so, he states its a 99.
Here is where the OP said his was a 1996.

Originally Posted by pure adrenaline
You are a transmission god. Lol I was posting this for myself incase I need to rebuild or order specific parts for it, And I like to know when im junkyard hunting what I am looking at.
Thank you so much!

My truck is a 1996 1500 2wd. And now I know for sure a 46RE from the right time frame, so it's probably original. I didnt know you need the year of the truck to determine the year the tranny was built. Could it have been built September 14, 1995?

Quick Reply: Transmission VIN Challenge