2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Stalls when I hit the brakes

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 11:53 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's what is so confusing. the only thing that the back up lights have in common with the engine------both get power form PDC.

Old 03-27-2012, 11:59 PM
PapaG
Veteran

Originally Posted by gdstock
That's what is so confusing. the only thing that the back up lights have in common with the engine------both get power form PDC.
Maybe some kind of short in/under the PDC. The trailer fuse and the one of the engine/ign fuses are awful close together...?

Old 03-28-2012, 12:02 AM
gdstock
Legend

Originally Posted by PapaG
Maybe some kind of short in/under the PDC. The trailer fuse and the one of the engine/ign fuses are awful close together...?

I think you may be onto something........Theoretically, a cross short may cause this. I have seen cross shorts create all sorts of freaky things before (usually with 480 volt ac though).

OK dodgerules.....Does this make any sense to you? Disconnect battery and see if you can remove the PDC and peek underneath it.

Old 03-28-2012, 04:50 PM
dodgerules-othersdroll
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok first let me thank you all for your help.I will not be able to get to the truck till the weekend just no time to get to it with work, but I'll be looking at it first thing saturday morning. Thanks again everyone.

Old 03-29-2012, 02:33 PM
Bjoker87
Amateur

Whats really confusing me is the rough idle thing, when I install remote starters the brake switch is used as a saftey device i.e when the car is started with the remote and the key is not on the run position and the brake is depressed to put into gear the unit kills power to the ignition system, but it acts like when you normally turn the key back and remove it (its smooth)

With every system I've ran into the brake switch rests at ground then goes hot when activated (pushing the pedal) so that positive signal is completing the circuit but through a frayed wire or something goofy in the PDC is jumping or arking and affecting something else, I personally think it has something to do with fuel, maybe its killing the fuel pump.

I dont want to really be stating the obvious with ^ that but its just my 2 cents

Maybe post a video of how quick it dies and what the guages are doing when you hit the brake

Old 03-30-2012, 01:20 PM
kieyotie

I'm having a different but possibly related issue that I will post elsewhere, but my issues may help yours.
My fuel pump started whining, (Like the disconnect tone on old house phones), and I crawled under to learn it's coming from fuel tank. Best part is, when I step on brakes, the noise stops. (Truck runs just fine, no stalling at all yet.)
I can't see why stepping on the brakes would stop a noise related to the fuel pump, but it does. (E brake has no effect.)
Also, I have an issue with the truck down shifting around 30mph then shifts normally from there and only when puttering around town. Truck has new trans so I took it back and fussed. Driving it around when you step of brake AND gas, it signals it to downshift. The shop owner did this to show the effect to me. It up-shifts when you release brake.
Apparently Dodge tied everything to the damned ABS.
Good luck and I'll keep an eye on this to see if it helps me out at all.

Last edited by kieyotie; 03-30-2012 at 01:23 PM.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:04 PM
dodgerules-othersdroll
Amateur

Well we're to get rain all day saturday here so I won't be able to get to it till sunday. Ever thing I do is on the ground and uncovered. I'll start with the brake and back up lights and then then the trailer wire. I'll post as soon I as I do something to it.

Old 04-01-2012, 01:20 AM
gdstock
Legend

Hope the weather is good and you get this fixed SUnday. I am dying to know what is causing this!

Old 04-01-2012, 08:38 AM
dodgerules-othersdroll
Amateur

Wow gd 1:30 in the morning you need to sleep more lol.When you say pdc you mean power dis. center?

Old 04-01-2012, 09:26 AM
dodgerules-othersdroll
Amateur

Ok here's what I did so far, removed brake fuse hit the brake didn't stall,removed the b/u light fuse didn't stall.Put one or the other in it stalls.I removed the brake light bulbs and it didn't stall at all. I could hit the brakes and put in rev. and it didn't stall. Going to check the trailer wiring now. I hope were on to something.

Quick Reply: Stalls when I hit the brakes