2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Power Steering Leaking with PIX!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 06:19 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Box being too tight at the screw on the top just makes the truck want to go any direction BUT straight. Get it too tight, and your over-center steering (trying to go straight) will be impossible.

I think you would be much further ahead REPLACING that box.....

Old 04-12-2012, 06:39 PM
RaissiKitten
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it is hard to keep straight.. I may have to replace the box.. I got the arm off, removed the four bolts around the adjustment screw, and tried to pull that shaft out, but it gets about an inch and stops dead.. will not come out..? I printed off a couple guides on this, and they all say to pull it straight out.. Not happening..

Old 04-12-2012, 07:44 PM
Matt Nickerson
Record Breaker

The procedures in the manual. If I remember it says something about counting the number of turns it takes (with a wrench, or something of the sort) from stop to stop. Then turn it back half the amount of times you just counted. Ex. You can do 12 full turns of the shaft from when it stops, going counter-clockwise, to when it stops, going clockwise. Half that number is 6, so turn the shaft back counter-clockwise 6 turns and viola, out comes the shaft.

Yours probably won't come out because you must have spun the shaft around instead of immediately pulling it out.

Old 04-17-2012, 12:47 PM
RaissiKitten
Professional

That sounds about right.. I turned it slowly and pulled most the way, it came out eventually, but still not easily.. I had to tap it, very carefully I might add.. Any way its over and done with, besides the hassle of getting it apart, everything looked almost new..? Gears and bearing nice and clean, no rust.. No shavings or chipped teeth.. So I readjusted the whole box, put it all back in.. No more leak.. The seals were actually EASY to do.. with the exception above.. I still have to tighten the box, but otherwise, it drives MUCH better, and doesnt leak!

Quick Reply: Power Steering Leaking with PIX!!!