2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

ShOcKS!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 11:25 PM
NightWolf2210
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ShOcKS!

Ok now I just got my new tires put on and was tolled my shocks need to be replaced good old stock still lol so its time for some new ones. Now they said oh should get the Monroe Gas-Magnum shocks put on and I wanted to hear from you guys here what do you know or think of that brand of shocks ,good or bad, and if bad what would be a good set to throw on?

Old 04-11-2012, 08:03 AM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by NightWolf2210
Ok now I just got my new tires put on and was tolled my shocks need to be replaced good old stock still lol so its time for some new ones. Now they said oh should get the Monroe Gas-Magnum shocks put on and I wanted to hear from you guys here what do you know or think of that brand of shocks ,good or bad, and if bad what would be a good set to throw on?
nitro shocks give a still rough ride put told up better offroading or when driving like a mad man on the road....
hydo shocks give a better ride but can overheat when offroading causing foaming and then they dont work well until the foam dissipates...I have new ones for mine I have to put them on next week mine are so bad the truck is difficult to stop and handling is terrible..I went with rough country 2-3" lift hydro shocks from top gunz...they have a store on ebay 120 for all four boots are 12.00 extra.
you would probably notice improvements with a steering stabilizer too...there is a article and poll on what shocks people are using here in the DIY section..

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 04-11-2012 at 08:18 AM.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:51 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I've used the gas magnums on all my trucks and never had an issue. I have them on my 2500 now. And the ride is great. Most people are surprised how nice it is for a 2500.

Old 04-11-2012, 02:10 PM
NightWolf2210

awesome thanks a lot guys.

Old 04-11-2012, 02:32 PM
johnnyjaws98
Veteran

Ijust put gabrel ultma gas shocks around 36.00 dollars each nice! ride

Old 04-11-2012, 02:39 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

what about air shock? are they any good?

Old 04-11-2012, 02:40 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by crazzywolfie
what about air shock? are they any good?
I believe it usually comes down to hydraulic or "hydro" which is usually considered the best for cars and light trucks that dont see hard use... and nitrogen filled ones that are better for handling and offroading but have a stiff ride... there's other differences like stage valving... shocks are one of those things that are made by a few companies on assy lines with small differences and then marketed as all sorts of brands... I believe Tenneco makes monroe shocks as well as Rancho shocks too.... I dont know what company makes Gabriel but I would guess maybe the same guys that make Bilstien?... of course theres that offchance that some brands actually engineer AND manufactuer thier own....but that way of business is going by the wayside... most of these brands like skyjacker and rough country just buy wholesale unmarked shocks and repackage and market the same things with there name and spin on the specs...(supposeldy they are made to thier specs but that usually whatevers cheapest and the same exact specs as the competition...) sometimes I believe the factory seconds are sold as another brand too..
I can tell you I ordered a MOOG steering stabilizer and Rough country branded shocks and the actual shocks appear to be the same and look to have been stamped and manufactured in the same plant... I cant confirm it but If I were a betting man...

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 04-11-2012 at 02:47 PM.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:37 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

I don't particularly care for air shocks. Your shock mounts were designed to dampen movement of the rear axle, not support weight........

Old 04-11-2012, 10:00 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

good to know. i just thought they were similar to normal shock but a bit adjustable. i don't need to support extra weight. my 81 has 2 extra leafs to do that.

Old 04-11-2012, 10:47 PM
97black_ram
Captain

I run nitro on all four corners. I go wheeling a lot so that was the reason for the choice, and yes the ride is much firmer than before with the monroe gas-magnums.

Quick Reply: ShOcKS!