2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

95 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 V10 eng plow truck

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 10:29 AM
JackedDak03
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh yes I do know that since the truck I used to swap my manual was from a 95 and my 2500 was a 99...

Attached Thumbnails 95 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 V10 eng plow truck-dash2.jpg   95 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 V10 eng plow truck-picture-173.jpg  
Old 05-09-2012, 04:39 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JackedDak03
You are Right and Wrong

Right - The 95 is OBDI which uses less electronics for the engine/transmission.
Wrong - The V10 Intake manifold doesn't swap with the V8's nor do the sensors/wiring, etc. Its completely different as is the transmission.

See next response below

It really wouldn't be hard and I don't even think you'd need to change your driveshafts as the 47RH and the 46RE are the same length from what I've seen. If anything the transfer case may be the only difference in lengths.

Your 1999 uses a new computer for the guages, engine, and transmission as you already know. The 95 uses a 47RH tranny that doesn't rely on the computer for most of its shifting (only overdrive I believe). The rest of the wiring harness would need to be swapped with the engine as well, including the dash. If anything doing it this way is easier than if you had the older truck and were trying to put parts from a newer truck in it.

Everything would drop in and bolt right up, if you had a donor truck it makes life much easier. There is a guy over at ********* . com who is doing a similar swap now and seems to be going easy.

A lot of nay sayers have never even attempted something like this yet think it can't be done - I had a lot of that when swapping my 99 2500 from an Auto to a Manual and it ended up literally being a direct bolt in and go swap, very easy to do. Yet people made it sound impossible.

I'd say go for it, the V10 has a ton of torque and will make that little truck move well.
No, I'm not wrong. You just said everything I said in my first response, except with a lot more words. I said it would need those parts from a newer truck, not the newer truck. Believe it or not I do know that the intake from an 8 cylinder engine isn't going to bolt onto a v10. Also that a 47rh (h for hydraulically controlled) isn't going to swap with a 46re (e for electronically controlled).

Nobody ever said it can't be done. Anything can be done. But what I will say is that when the OP goes to get his new swapped truck emissions tested or something like that, he will automatically fail, due to the fact that he no longer has the OBD2 port that they use on a '99 truck.

You are comparing swapping a transmission out (a common swap that TONS of people have done successfully) to swapping the entire brain, drivetrain, and half the interior out, so that then he has a truck that won't be able to be street legal. Unless he acquires several major parts from a third truck.

Last edited by Wombat Ranger; 05-09-2012 at 04:42 PM.
Old 05-09-2012, 04:50 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2x1972
....Nobody ever said it can't be done. Anything can be done. But what I will say is that when the OP goes to get his new swapped truck emissions tested or something like that, he will automatically fail, due to the fact that he no longer has the OBD2 port that they use on a '99 truck.

That's an interesting complication that I had not even thought of. I may go back to the thread on ABS where the memebr was talking about just disconnecting it. That would probably be a fail also!

Old 05-09-2012, 04:55 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion

Of course that depends on the area that you are in, if they have tough inspections or not, but the OP is from Pennsylvania, where I know for a fact they have stupid tough inspections. Apparantly they will fail you for leaking "excessive" amounts of oil...

Old 05-09-2012, 04:59 PM
redneck_ram
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have zero complaints about the 318 power wise for plowing snow. i have an 8 foot plow, and have more than enough power to push plenty of snow. i stack plenty of snow, and push iced up piles back if needed. just keep the 318, and add some stuff to it to get the power you want.

Old 05-10-2012, 07:12 AM
Lone136
Veteran

Where I work at there is a 99 2500 that my boss has, but it has been sitting for some time. I asked one of the guts what is wrong with the truck and all he could tell me is the injecters are bad and it didn't run right. I wait down there and looked at the truck yesterday and I be damn the dash is good and no rust in the doors at all. It has a 360 auto. THe truck was built to lower to the ground so you could load it with very little help, but by doing so the ear was removed so it runs on the front drive shaft ONLY. I need to get some pictures. What a setup it is JUNK in my book. He was unable to sale the truck so now it sits. I have been meaning to ask him about the truck abd will do so today if I see him

Old 05-10-2012, 07:23 AM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion

Front wheel drive? Wow. I have driven a 4x4 in Fwd and it is NOT enjoyable...

Old 05-10-2012, 10:39 AM
dlyter09
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Come on now. PA inspections aren't that tough. Although he will fail for not having the obd2 port in his truck for them to plug into and get the information needed. The swap is possible but like its been said its alot of work and probably not worth it in the end. Unless your building a truck that wont be on the street.

Old 05-11-2012, 01:30 AM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion

I had never even HEARD of vehicle inspections until I came down here, so they ALL seem stupid to me

Washington has a 25 year rolling emissions test, and nothing else. So pre '87s aren't tested, and next year it will be pre-88's, etc.

Old 05-11-2012, 06:48 AM
redneck_ram
Champion

Originally Posted by 2x1972
I had never even HEARD of vehicle inspections until I came down here, so they ALL seem stupid to me

Washington has a 25 year rolling emissions test, and nothing else. So pre '87s aren't tested, and next year it will be pre-88's, etc.
inspections here suck, plain and simple! even though theyre easy and there are a ton of places that will blindly stick the inspection sticker on your windshield, it still sucks.

if you get caught uninspected here, and get ticketed its a 62 dollar fine, and more if you take it to court to fight it.

however, if you pass safety, and fail the obd inspection they put a clear sticker with your birth month on it, and it makes it look like there is nothing there. so if you havent got the money to get it inspected, you can just take your old sticker off and it the cops cant tell!

Quick Reply: 95 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 V10 eng plow truck