2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Truck runs like crap

Old 05-22-2012, 06:26 PM
john91
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck runs like crap

I have a 95 ram 1500 4x4 5.2. I bought it off a friend. He cut the cat out of the truck when he did the exhaust. Put the 02 sensor back in and everything. Well it runs like crap lately. It almost dies at idle and spits and sputters, makes a weird hissing noise so i replaced the IAC valve. Didnt fix it. Also going down the road itll bog and hold itself there till i bought have to floor it to get it to catch itself and go. Any ideas? Im slowly giving up on this truck. Thanks

Old 05-22-2012, 07:11 PM
Matt Nickerson
Record Breaker

Most likely related to this: https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...um-thread.html
Hissing? Under the hood or elsewhere? If under the hood, spray carb cleaner at all the vacuum lines around the intake manifold-replace as necessary...if that's the problem it'll likely fix most of the rough idle.

Last edited by Matt Nickerson; 05-22-2012 at 07:14 PM.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:09 PM
john91
Amateur

It is hissing like under the hood. Sounded like the iac valve hissing but i just replaced that after the first one did it. The old one was all gunked up and bad.

Old 05-22-2012, 09:48 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IAC is not a valve. It is a stepping motor. DId you celan the IAC port real good before installing a new one?

The hissing is vacuum. And a vacuum leak will make it run like crap.

Old 05-22-2012, 10:28 PM
john91
Amateur

Im not to familiar with the vacuum lines. It only hisses when it bogs down at idles and almost stalls out. Other than that the hissing is non existent. And I did not clean out the port I never thought of it. Would the catless pipe be a problem to? Just trying to eliminate possibilities here. Sorry for being a pain.

Old 05-22-2012, 10:39 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,168 Likes on 2,922 Posts

No cat shouldn't be a problem. Not cleaning the throttle body would be though. The passage gets plugged up as well. There is a DIY in the faq section for cleaning the TB, try that first, see what happens. (be sure to disconnect the battery while you are doing it.)

Old 05-22-2012, 10:57 PM
gdstock
Legend

Originally Posted by HeyYou
No cat shouldn't be a problem. Not cleaning the throttle body would be though. The passage gets plugged up as well. There is a DIY in the faq section for cleaning the TB, try that first, see what happens. (be sure to disconnect the battery while you are doing it.)

Dang. I just posted that and more...or tried to post....must have clicked the wrong button....

+1 on HeyYou's info. Also, while you have the TB off, take a small mirror and flashlight and look down the throttle body into the intake. Pay particular attention to the rear on the pass side. See if there is oil pooling up there. If so, your plenum is blown and this may be s=the source of hissing and bogging.

Old 05-22-2012, 11:41 PM
john91
Amateur

I appreciate all the help on this one guys. I will clean the tb out tomorrow. Its almost midnight here haha but first thing on my list will be that. If not that i will check the plenum and see what happens. Hopefully it makes it better. This trucks giving me nightmares.

Old 05-23-2012, 12:02 AM
gdstock
Legend

Originally Posted by john91
I appreciate all the help on this one guys. I will clean the tb out tomorrow. Its almost midnight here haha but first thing on my list will be that. If not that i will check the plenum and see what happens. Hopefully it makes it better. This trucks giving me nightmares.

Check the plenum while you have the TB off to clean IAC port. Can't really see in there very well with TB in place.

Old 05-23-2012, 04:51 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by john91
Do not forget to disconnect the negative battery cable first, as HeyYou stated.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Truck runs like crap