2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-04-2015, 07:34 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

5.9 V8 Fuel Mileage

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 08:09 PM
Dvickers08
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
And there my friend, is the rub. Doing those also gives ya more power... which people seem to like to play with. So, they get WORSE gas mileage.
^^^^^^^^
Noooo. My friend. Anyway to get air and fuel in more efficiantly and out more efficiantly will in turn get better gas mileage. Because the motor doesnt have to work as hard to operate normaly..
How do K&N get away with saying they offer better Gas mileage...... O wait because K&N filters are more free flowing and have less drag therefor you get better Gas MILEAGE... its the same way with exaust.
The More Efficiant the motor the better the mileage and generally the more potental for horsepower gains.

Old 06-01-2012, 08:21 PM
mantisman51
Record Breaker

I think you may have missed his point. It may return better fuel economy and power, but the urge to floor it and enjoy the higher power makes it difficult to see the fuel mileage improvement.

Old 06-01-2012, 10:57 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Unless you are a girl. They make it look so easy, driving like a normal, controlled person all the time...

Old 06-01-2012, 11:04 PM
Johnny2Bad
Professional

I haven't found a 3/4 ton to be particularly different than a half ton fuel consumption wise. But as you go heavier, a manual transmission helps more. If they're both automatics, there isn't much difference.

As for K&N, I think they are a good filter, and run them myself. But, if you look at the data, the filter is the least restrictive part of an intake system. A well designed Cold Air Intake or Home-brewed intake restriction reduction with an OEM filter will give you better results than just swapping a K&N in on a stock engine. If you have power mods then the K&N helps because percentage-wise small improvements still make real gains. Stock motor, not so much.

Last edited by Johnny2Bad; 06-01-2012 at 11:12 PM.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:06 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion

I sure wouldn't trade my beloved stick(s) for any slushbox. I love it every time I drive it

Old 02-11-2014, 11:29 AM
Big Al1

Best mileage I ever got in my 1997 B3500 when I checked was 11.5 mixed town/hwy. Only mods were K&N round filter, free flow cat (original went bad), 257000 miles, and a 5800 lb curb weight acording to the scale at the transfer station. I had recently replaced the plugs and wires. I was interested in the efan mod due to the fact that there is so little room in the front of the motor to work on the van. Doghouse makes rear access easy (if you can get the damn thing off)

Old 02-11-2014, 05:49 PM
armynurse
Veteran

Originally Posted by Augiedoggy
I have been told a 180 stat will hurt mileage unless you have an sct tune loaded..since it runs rich until 195 degrees is reached and you will never get there with a 180... I ran both and wemt back to a 195..... with that and generation 3 injectors I'm getting the best mileage I ever have. (14-15 highway) with 35" mud tires and 5.5" of lift and 4.56 gears loaded with canoe on the roof and camping gear and passengers....
Talk to me about the Gen 3 injectors. What makes them so special compared to the Gen 2 injectors (which I'm running the factory injectors on my 1996 200,000 mile 5.2 4x4). Is it a direct swap-out?

I'm also running 4.10 gears, 285 tires, 2" lift, and a Hemifever tune.

Old 02-11-2014, 08:06 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

The gen 2 injectors will have a different connector. You can get adapters for them though.

Personally, I don't think there is much to be had just from an injector swap, aside from the detail of having "new" injectors vs. the old dirty ones.

Old 02-11-2014, 10:29 PM
armynurse
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
The gen 2 injectors will have a different connector. You can get adapters for them though.

Personally, I don't think there is much to be had just from an injector swap, aside from the detail of having "new" injectors vs. the old dirty ones.
That's kind-of what I thought.

Are our Gen 2 injectors single-hole injectors? What about four-hole injectors? I'm figuring mine are old, not exactly in great shape; new ones wouldn't hurt, but why go with factory direct replacement if there was something that was better. Not looking for power gains really (other than what new injectors in general may provide). Just want it to run good and maybe get a little better MPG.

Old 02-11-2014, 11:13 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

I am not entirely sure there are any real advantages to different design injectors..... at least, not enough of a difference that you would notice. The four hole fellers atomize the fuel better.... (not difficult to do....) but, they way our system is set up, the injectors spray the fuel right at the back of the nice, hot, intake valve, which flashes it to a vapor in any event..... with the four hole injector, you can retard injector timing a bit, so they are spraying at an open valve...... but, I really couldn't tell ya if you get any more power/efficiency that way.

That said, one would think that replacing high mileage injectors sure wouldn't hurt anything.

Quick Reply: 5.9 V8 Fuel Mileage