2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-04-2015, 07:34 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

5.9 V8 Fuel Mileage

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 10:54 AM
Big Al1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default some thoughts...

Originally Posted by Dvickers08
^^^^^^^^
Noooo. My friend. Anyway to get air and fuel in more efficiantly and out more efficiantly will in turn get better gas mileage. Because the motor doesnt have to work as hard to operate normaly..
How do K&N get away with saying they offer better Gas mileage...... O wait because K&N filters are more free flowing and have less drag therefor you get better Gas MILEAGE... its the same way with exaust.
The More Efficiant the motor the better the mileage and generally the more potental for horsepower gains.
Most of the K&N gains are high RPM... where our motors suck anyway.The exhaust IMHO is not a restriction until the revs are up past 4k. Long tube headers would be a good addition for better cylinder filling down low, but good ones are expensive and noisy. Also, those "kegger" intake manifolds everyone hates are tuned for low end torque and efficiency. When people cut the runners it will breath a little better up top but you loose that tuned port ram effect that fills the cylinders better down low and that translates into better mileage . An unmodified "kegger" is a dog over 4k rpm but very responsive in normal city driving.

Old 11-07-2017, 01:37 PM
Kevin Pribbernow
Default Tricks to get better gas mileage

Originally Posted by Big White Farm Truck
I have a 5.9 V8 in a 1998 Dodge 2500. As far as I can tell I'm getting somewhere around 10 mpg, is that average or should it be getting better than that? The engine is stock right now but what are some things to do to get the fuel mileage a little better?
I’m not lying when I say I get 30mpg with my 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9l v8 with close to 300,000 miles. A trick you can use; change your existing spark plus with a set of e3 spark plugs, get some decent set of wires, a performance coil, and a cold air intake. That will make all the difference. I’ve also seen that if you run high mileage synthetic oil in the engine, it runs a lot better, and put sea foam I’m the oil, in the gas, and through the vaccum lines. You could also change to an electric fan vs pulley driven to remove stress on the engine. I live in the city, and I get about 30 mpg city and 33 highway. I beat the hell out of my engine too, so you could get a lot better fuel mileage then me. It costs me $60 to fill the tank, and it lasts me 2 weeks of every day driving. I learned about these tricks from me buying a lot of these trucks cheap and fixing them up and selling them.

Old 11-07-2017, 01:54 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin Pribbernow
I’m not lying when I say I get 30mpg with my 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9l v8 with close to 300,000 miles. A trick you can use; change your existing spark plus with a set of e3 spark plugs, get some decent set of wires, a performance coil, and a cold air intake. That will make all the difference. I’ve also seen that if you run high mileage synthetic oil in the engine, it runs a lot better, and put sea foam I’m the oil, in the gas, and through the vaccum lines. You could also change to an electric fan vs pulley driven to remove stress on the engine. I live in the city, and I get about 30 mpg city and 33 highway. I beat the hell out of my engine too, so you could get a lot better fuel mileage then me. It costs me $60 to fill the tank, and it lasts me 2 weeks of every day driving. I learned about these tricks from me buying a lot of these trucks cheap and fixing them up and selling them.

Old 09-01-2019, 09:55 PM
Justin Mohler
Default 2003 Dodge Durango R/T 5.9 Gas Mileage

12 miles per gallon, city and highway. Regular unleaded 87.

Old 09-03-2019, 10:40 AM
KillerLemming
Professional
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Big White Farm Truck
I have a 5.9 V8 in a 1998 Dodge 2500. As far as I can tell I'm getting somewhere around 10 mpg, is that average or should it be getting better than that? The engine is stock right now but what are some things to do to get the fuel mileage a little better?
I get about 13 mpg or more in mine, but i drive like a grandpa

Old 09-08-2019, 02:51 PM
Blayd
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

11mpg. on 87, 8-9 mpg on 93 tune...In town driving. ( Rarely on the highway...ever)
The recent Hughes FI Airgap, and 3" exhaust upgrade, ( added to the already done bolt ons ) killed my mileage along with my bottom end torque....even with the 4.11 rear....LOL.

Old 09-08-2019, 02:59 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Originally Posted by Blayd
11mpg. on 87, 8-9 mpg on 93 tune...In town driving. ( Rarely on the highway...ever)
The recent Hughes FI Airgap, and 3" exhaust upgrade, ( added to the already done bolt ons ) killed my mileage along with my bottom end torque....even with the 4.11 rear....LOL.
Think I would go back to the stock tune, and see if it isn't any better....

Old 09-08-2019, 03:30 PM
Blayd
Amateur

Been there, done that.
Thanks though.
Not really worried about the mileage, I only drive 14 miles a day back and forth to work.
I might give Hughes a shot at the tune, the Hemifever tune does great at WOT, but "around town", "light to light" pedal stomping, its slightly better then stock.
This is my 3rd, second Gen Dodge, and EVERYTIME I start working them up, seems the first thing I loss is the bottom end.
The stock Kegger may have been a HUGE vacuum leak, but it was tuned pretty well to get more torque from the bottom. Once you go to something else, you generally loose the bottom end.
The 46RE isnt any help either. Even with the changes I had done.
It'll get there....might take the cam and heads, but it'll get there....
Thanks though HeyYou...

Old 09-08-2019, 03:56 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Originally Posted by Blayd
Been there, done that.
Thanks though.
Not really worried about the mileage, I only drive 14 miles a day back and forth to work.
I might give Hughes a shot at the tune, the Hemifever tune does great at WOT, but "around town", "light to light" pedal stomping, its slightly better then stock.
This is my 3rd, second Gen Dodge, and EVERYTIME I start working them up, seems the first thing I loss is the bottom end.
The stock Kegger may have been a HUGE vacuum leak, but it was tuned pretty well to get more torque from the bottom. Once you go to something else, you generally loose the bottom end.
The 46RE isnt any help either. Even with the changes I had done.
It'll get there....might take the cam and heads, but it'll get there....
Thanks though HeyYou...
A cam more in line with your manifold, and heads to match, sure wouldn't hurt. If you want just a bit of a bump, for not a ton of money, and work, the harland sharp 1.7 roller rockers get you around 10hp/tq, on a stock motor..... with a tune, likely a bit more. Not necessarily something you will feel in the seat of your pants, but, it will make all the rest of the mods work together nicely as well.

What have you got for exhaust?

Old 09-08-2019, 04:06 PM
Blayd
Amateur

Already got 'em... ( just now trying to update my sig....)
Thanks again...Like I said, its all a big puzzle, trying to get the right pieces to get what you want. In my case, still working on getting it...
Exhaust.. Gibson shorties, a custom "Y" pipe.. ( had to make a custom to work out the TCI shifter intstall..) Magna flo cat, Flomaster 40, dumped at the muffler.

Quick Reply: 5.9 V8 Fuel Mileage