2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Fuel Injection to Carb

Old 06-17-2012, 12:35 PM
S S0DEN
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Injection to Carb

1999 Dodge Ram - 360

Rebuilt engine, Indy Heads, Flat Tops, Steel Crank/Rods. Looking to swap out the injection and go old school.

How would I adapt the transmission or would the computer still govern the shifting?

I would need the usual:

Intake
Carb
Fuel Regulator
Carb Linkage

What else am I missing gear heads?

Old 06-17-2012, 12:51 PM
Adobedude
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by S S0DEN
1999 Dodge Ram - 360

Rebuilt engine, Indy Heads, Flat Tops, Steel Crank/Rods. Looking to swap out the injection and go old school.

How would I adapt the transmission or would the computer still govern the shifting?

I would need the usual:

Intake
Carb
Fuel Regulator
Carb Linkage

What else am I missing gear heads?
Get a manual valve body and make it easy....Shifting is controlled by the PCM and the TV cable, you will lose the cable with the wap.

I have a new Magnum carb manifold I'd sell, it had the injector bungs and fuel rail pedestals ground off and was smoothed on the outside with epoxy before I got it, I painted it...Never ran it. I don't think the epoxy would come off, they use it on the inside to reshape the runners all the time. 130.00 shipped. I'll look for a pic if you're interested.

Some guys still use the PCM for the gauges. It's a pretty easy swap.

Old 06-17-2012, 02:46 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,164 Likes on 2,918 Posts

Would have to deal with the trans. Manual valve body would be one option, but, you would still be missing 4th gear, and TCC. 95 or older trans would get you the first three, but, would still need to address 4th, and TCC.

Gauges would be another issue. You could leave the PCM hooked up, for the most part... so it would supply info for the gauges, or, you could convert to different gauges.. PCM would be setting numerous codes... for all the things it wanted to do, but didn't make any difference, also for sensor that weren't there any more.

Just out of idle curiosity, why do you want to take several steps backward in technology?

Old 06-17-2012, 09:35 PM
S S0DEN
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I prefer carb and no computer when building for horsepower, it is simpler to achieve horsepower verse playing with the sensors and computer in my opinion.

Eliminate the need for O2 sensors, build a nice custom true duel exhaust ect, ect.

Old 06-17-2012, 09:47 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

i think if you are going to do that much work you may almost want to get a 727 to put behind it. 46rh's are ok but may not stand up to the punishment of the power plus a 727 should be cheap and easy to find and repair if you ever need to. plus they put them behind the big blocks. if they can put up with big block power i am sure they can more than handle anything you can throw at them.

Old 06-17-2012, 09:48 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

I can see your point there..... certainly opens up the possibilities for manifolds....

But.... (and you had to know that was coming. ) You can get unlimited custom tunes from Hemifever for 365.00, just need a wideband O2, and logging software (free) with a cable (50 bucks max.) And you can get adjusted to your hearts content. M1, or Hughes are the choices for manifolds though.....

Old 06-17-2012, 11:27 PM
Hahns5.2
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
But.... (and you had to know that was coming. ) You can get unlimited custom tunes from Hemifever for 365.00, just need a wideband O2, and logging software (free) with a cable (50 bucks max.) And you can get adjusted to your hearts content. M1, or Hughes are the choices for manifolds though.....
I think Adobedude would disagree with you there...

Not saying a carb is the answer either, you can do a standalone and get way more tuneability than the stock junk and tune it yourself for the same money or cheaper than a carb swap I'd bet.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:36 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Yeah, standalone would be a good option as well. Still need a laptop, and possibly a cable for tuning.... but, being able to include a knock sensor is one MAJOR advantage.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:46 AM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OP for the trans question it is possible to put OD on a switch in the cab. There's writeups floating around out there...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fuel Injection to Carb