2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

HID and a 01 Ram

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 05:45 PM
bent-fender
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok what all do I need to know befor I buy?

Ive never had aftermarket lights in any of my truck so.............all this is new to me.

Old 06-20-2012, 07:20 PM
WAfrican
Professional

I would recommend getting 6000K...idk why beeker said that 5000K are blue because they most definitely are not. He must have gotten a weird set because 6000K are supposed to be diamond white which I really like, and you most likely will also. 8000K should have a hint of blue, but varies company to company. Also if you decide to get the 55w vs. the 35w(standard) the bulb color will shift approx. one shade down so 8000K would look more like 6000K.

Old 06-20-2012, 10:20 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I tried the electronic ballast 35w 5000k ines and then went to the older bigger analog 55w kit with 4300 or 4500k bulbs....night and day difference with the 55w ones having very bright and even colored light output compared to the electric ones,,, I have the halo projectors.If you get halo projectors remember they are all wired wrong for the non sport rams.... wheather you have a sport or a non sport you have to swap two or more wires to correct the backwards wiring from factory in china.... dispite myself and others telling distributors for years that they are wired wrong they still sell them that way and play dumb when they melt or melt the wiring from crossed ground and all four lights running off the stock power wires drawing too many amps...(and puting out poor light that way)

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 06-20-2012 at 10:25 PM.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:42 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And if you get it for under $200 and they work great, post pics and link.....

Old 06-21-2012, 12:36 AM
beeker
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I would recommend a 9004 relay harness as well to draw power from the battery rather than the stock wiring. It's very simple to install and plugs directly to the stock plug for the signal, the only other wires are to the positive distribution block and ground on the chassis.

Most high end cars with HID come with 5000K, so 6000K will have a shade more blue to it. Just keep in mind the more blue the brighter you need it because there's less visible output.

What you should buy...
Projectors
- What bulb does it use? Some use a 9004 socket and others use H3 etc
- Sport or Non-Sport (4 headlight or 2?)
HID Kit (Ballast and bulbs)
- Does bulb type match projector?
- Xenon or Bi-Xenon?
- Digital or Analog?
- 35w or 55w
Relay Harness - Xenon or Bi-Xenon

Choices
Bi-Xenon Kit- the bulb itself has 2 positions high/low, it moves with a magnet to the high beam position, a Bi-Xenon harness will be needed

Xenon Kit - low beam only, or if your projector has a cutoff shield that moves when high is activated. However you won't pass an inspection without highs or with HID highs, they must be halogen so switch em out for inspection.

Digital or Analog Ballasts - Most are Analog and do fine, digital are supposed to have less tendency to flicker, I can't comment as I've only used Analog, some flicker and some don't. Adding some beefy ground straps to the chassis can prevent the flicker esp at idle or with the subs drawing a hefty current.

35watt or 55watt ballasts - how bright you want it? In some housing with well controlled and focussed light output 55w would be a good choice, but a poor housing with this ballast will seriously endanger your life and others due to the glare.

If you want to learn more about HIDs a couple good sites are HIDplanet.com and TheRetroFitSource.com
I don't like the look or quality of the ebay projector kits so I went back to halogens until I do a custom retrofit, I added some 55w HID projector fog lights and they are great, 120* spread and a razor sharp cutoff. They work so well I don't feel the need to do a retrofit anymore.

Last edited by beeker; 06-21-2012 at 03:38 AM.
Old 06-21-2012, 12:55 AM
beeker
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by WAfrican
I would recommend getting 6000K...idk why beeker said that 5000K are blue because they most definitely are not. He must have gotten a weird set because 6000K are supposed to be diamond white which I really like, and you most likely will also. 8000K should have a hint of blue, but varies company to company. Also if you decide to get the 55w vs. the 35w(standard) the bulb color will shift approx. one shade down so 8000K would look more like 6000K.
I stand corrected, 5000k are closer to white than anything, they may have a hint of blue but not much. I will confirm it does vary from one brand to the next as I have replaced bulb from another company and it will be blue rather than white for a 4300K bulb.

Old 06-21-2012, 06:16 AM
bent-fender
Rookie

I know I want 6000k I dont like the blue look and it does hide some things on country roads. The 55w sounds like it is right up my alley.

After reading what you guys said Im not sure the kit ive ordered is going to do what I want it to.

What brand would you guys suggest, 9007 or 9004? I have a o1 ram 1500 club cab non sport.

Much appreciate the advise and help so far guys.

Old 06-21-2012, 07:26 AM
Augiedoggy
Champion

I can tell you I bought a set of 6000k and installed in my fathers truck...they are blueish white but have a strong blue tint.. (they are not rated in true kelven values) the 5000k ones I bought were whiter but were actually uneven with almost yellow looking light just in the middle..I thought the bulbs were bad and tried a different set of 5k which were more even. the 4300k ones I have now are white not yellow and are closer to the 10,000k metal halide lights I use in my reef tank... makes me wonder what they use for reference... OEM's all use between 4300-5000k bulbs

Old 06-21-2012, 07:30 AM
Augiedoggy
Champion

Originally Posted by bent-fender
I know I want 6000k I dont like the blue look and it does hide some things on country roads. The 55w sounds like it is right up my alley.

After reading what you guys said Im not sure the kit ive ordered is going to do what I want it to.

What brand would you guys suggest, 9007 or 9004? I have a o1 ram 1500 club cab non sport.

Much appreciate the advise and help so far guys.
well the projector housing usually require a different style bulb...mine require "H1" bulbs for the regular beam...I dont bother with the high beam since the hids work better. If you get housing that dont have seperate high and low bulbs then you'll likely want bixenon I installed those in my dads truck and they work well...

Old 06-21-2012, 04:43 PM
crackajack92
Amateur

from the HIDs ive always installed it went from 6k which is bright white 8k which is a little blue and bright white, 10k pure blue, then 12k pure purple. if you get 8 or 10k go with the 55watt to brighten it up. but if you are goin with 6k then 35watt will be ok. and make sure they are the slim ballasts not big bulky ones. i always go with 8k 35watt and i love it. but they do lack a little visibility but enhances the reflectors on the road or road signs they pretty much glow at you.