2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Leaking Transmission. Not Pan!

Old 07-15-2012, 01:09 PM
RaissiKitten
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaking Transmission. Not Pan!

I have a slow, but steady leak from my transmission.. I thought at first the pan or gasket caused it, cause one edge of the pan is dripping.. When I got a closer look, I noticed above the pan is soaked. All around the Transmission Solenoid connector, and the neutral safety switch.. My question is, is their a seal in there? Or maybe a plug loose? I have searched h*ll and high water, even called Napa and Oriellys (Who give me a list of seals, and nothing else) Someone poured stop leak in here, which fixed the leak at first, but condemned me to pulling solenoids and cleaning every month.. =\ Before I clean them again, I would like to get this leak fixed. Im posting a pic, (If I can figure it out) so you know the location I am talking about, Just in case.. The fluid is all over the "Transmission Solenoid 8 way connector", and the "Park/Neutral Safety Switch".

Also, I cleaned this off, and left it sit over night, and the fluid was back, so I know its not splash from driving these horrible gravel roads..

Thanks, In advance.

Attached Thumbnails Leaking Transmission. Not Pan!-2009-04-29_235212_ss-1.jpg  
Old 07-15-2012, 01:57 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are 2 O-rings on the connector. That's the good news. In the photo, it is the large connector near the top, with blue O Rings.

Name:  ODandTC.jpg
Views: 2873
Size:  23.8 KB

The bad news - you have to remove the pan and drop the valve body to get to it.

Old 07-15-2012, 02:26 PM
RaissiKitten
Professional

Ive dropped it before, no big deal.. Im an IDIOT! I swear!! I got a new OD/Lockup sensor.. And decided its easier to unplug the little black plug, and leave the old wires in.. I just ran out and grabbed the new plug.. Two blue o rings! Your right! My OD doesnt work right since I installed it either, perhaps cause I neglected to change this plug?? Maybe I can kill two birds with one stone!!

Old 07-15-2012, 02:26 PM
stewie01
Legend

Originally Posted by RaissiKitten
I have a slow, but steady leak from my transmission.. I thought at first the pan or gasket caused it, cause one edge of the pan is dripping.. When I got a closer look, I noticed above the pan is soaked. All around the Transmission Solenoid connector, and the neutral safety switch.. My question is, is their a seal in there? Or maybe a plug loose? I have searched h*ll and high water, even called Napa and Oriellys (Who give me a list of seals, and nothing else) Someone poured stop leak in here, which fixed the leak at first, but condemned me to pulling solenoids and cleaning every month.. =\ Before I clean them again, I would like to get this leak fixed. Im posting a pic, (If I can figure it out) so you know the location I am talking about, Just in case.. The fluid is all over the "Transmission Solenoid 8 way connector", and the "Park/Neutral Safety Switch".

Also, I cleaned this off, and left it sit over night, and the fluid was back, so I know its not splash from driving these horrible gravel roads..

Thanks, In advance.
Originally Posted by gdstock
There are 2 O-rings on the connector. That's the good news. In the photo, it is the large connector near the top, with blue O Rings.

The bad news - you have to remove the pan and drop the valve body to get to it.
I had a transmission leak that appeared to be coming from the pan, it was the 3rd fix before I realized it was not the pan, but instead the TCC/OD Solenoid Assembly, the top part in gdstock's picture, turns out the blue O ring's had vanished and it was leaking when full out the top.

You'll be better off to just get one from the dealership, I think I paid $136 or something, not bad.

You don't have to drop the valve body to replace that part though...

If you replace that part be careful because the clip on the solenoid is very stiff and breaks very easy (ask me how I know...) and there are 1 or 2 springs that will shot out of nowhere that need to be put back in the right place. Almost need an extra set of eyes to watch out for stuff like that.....

Last edited by stewie01; 07-15-2012 at 02:28 PM.
Old 07-15-2012, 02:34 PM
RaissiKitten
Professional

I still have the brand new plug that came with the OD/Lock up solenoid.. So I have everything I need.. Im not sure I could do it without dropping the valve body though.. maybe? Springs.. where do these springs come from? the plug with the orings? I have replaced all three solenoids in the pan, and remove and clean them every month, so I am familiar with those suckers.. Grr

Old 07-15-2012, 02:41 PM
gdstock
Legend

Originally Posted by stewie01
I had a transmission leak that appeared to be coming from the pan, it was the 3rd fix before I realized it was not the pan, but instead the TCC/OD Solenoid Assembly, the top part in gdstock's picture, turns out the blue O ring's had vanished and it was leaking when full out the top. .....

I remembered that someone had a leak from there...forgot it was you! And I remember you saying that it could be done without pulling VB, but as I pulled mine and did not try with VB in place, I have no experience. Isn't the connecctor fastened to the VB with a screw from the top? Been too long since I had mine opn, I cannot remember for sure. I do remember the park rod was the hardest part to get connected for me.

Old 07-15-2012, 02:55 PM
stewie01
Legend

Originally Posted by gdstock
I remembered that someone had a leak from there...forgot it was you! And I remember you saying that it could be done without pulling VB, but as I pulled mine and did not try with VB in place, I have no experience. Isn't the connecctor fastened to the VB with a screw from the top? Been too long since I had mine opn, I cannot remember for sure. I do remember the park rod was the hardest part to get connected for me.
The connector with the O rings is on the driver side of the transmission, when you look up at the valve body you'll see a crease at the side, there are a few torx? screws that fasten the side piece to the rest of the valve body, when that piece comes off the spring will shoot out the side of the valve body.

It's been quite a while since I did mine too.... The rest of that piece is more towards the passenger side but it's easy to get too....

Zman was the told that told me it could be done without pulling the valve body. But I didn't replace the actual solenoid either, just the assembly...

My old connector with no O rings....

Old 07-15-2012, 03:15 PM
RaissiKitten
Professional

Ooohh I remember that Spring when I pulled it the first time, Yup!! This shouldnt be to bad then.. I think the hardest part is remembering what screw went were.. Last time I guess, (Oops) But, I guessed correctly.. When I hit OD, My rpm's surge up and down, from 1,500-2,000 rpms.. Didnt do that till I installed the new OD/LU Solenoid.. Could that be cause I reused the old wires instead of plugging in this new one like I should have?

Old 07-15-2012, 03:20 PM
RaissiKitten
Professional

Uhm.. I just realised something.. This plug I have for the OD/LU Solenoid.. It doesnt have the wires to the pressure solenoid, like the one pictured does.. It goes from the plug, to the black plug that connects to the OD/LU Solenoid bracket.. and thats it. Uh oh.. Maybe I have the entirely wrong Solenoid on this truck.. I got it from Napa.. Hn

Old 07-15-2012, 03:28 PM
RaissiKitten
Professional

This is the plug I have, with a 46re Automatic Transmission.. The solenoid is in the transmission.. I just disconnected the black plug and plugged the old wires in.. Think I know why my OD doesnt work right.

Attached Thumbnails Leaking Transmission. Not Pan!-276281.jpg  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Leaking Transmission. Not Pan!