2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

4x4 problems 4L. ok , 4h. wont engage help

Old 08-09-2012, 10:48 PM
morcam123
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

update :today went under truck checked shifter and it is ok the small lever on the transfer case is pushed all the way up to the transfer case ,and is moving ok just not going all the way up to 4H. however i might be wrong but as iam reading more and more i suspect my cad might not be functioning right vaccum is ok but as iam ispecting moving vaccum hoses up and down nothing seems to be moving ,any info on how to tell if the cad is good or bad ? also any info on taking it appart ? as I see this i may have more than one problem, what do you all think

Old 08-09-2012, 11:01 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

don't worry about the CAD until you have your shifting problem solved. all the CAD does it lock or not lock the front axle halves. the tcase is the main man as it has to turn the front drive shaft.

if you're not sure whats going on, put the truck up on 4 jack stands and operate it safely.

i think the older model shift sequence might be backwards from the later models, but it should follow the picture on the **** and go 4H - 2H - N - 4L. each shift is a very solid stop point on the t-case lever.

after your tcase is working, this is how the cad works (or is supposed to). failure is common.
http://dodgeram.org/tech/repair/4X4/4x4_engagment.htm

Old 08-10-2012, 09:35 AM
morcam123

update: went out today looked all over the lever is fine when the shifter goes into 4l. it does move to the far end to the transfer case if you then try to go on 4h then it stops in neutral . I think i may have a problem on the cad. not actuating ,because it is not engaging and the light is not turning on , any ideas how to take it appart ? is this a complicated job ? what to look for ? how to test the cad. ? i think i may be having 2 different problems all toghether, thanksyou all for your time

Old 08-10-2012, 10:08 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i still say not to mess with the cad. its not your primary problem and you're wasting time going down that road.

that said, the cad is easy if the 4 bolts don't break.
BUT - you must follow this troubleshooting sequence.
DO NOT OPEN THE CAD UNTIL YOU HAVE PROPER VAC ON BOTH LINES AT THE PROPER TIME.

check vac with engine running and tcase in 2wd and then 4wd. is the tcase's job to put vac on one line when in 2wd and the other in 4wd.

i'll say it again. do not open the cad until your vac is correct. fix the vac first at either the engine, the tcase, or the lines to the cad.

to open the cad, spray with pb-blaster and let soak. place a pan under it, remove the 4 bolts, remove the cad, see the fork attached. see the sliding collar that it moves. test cad by applying vac to one side, then the other. see fork move back and forth. that's ALL it does. when reinstalling, make sure fork engages collar or else you've done it wrong.
http://dodgeram.org/tech/repair/4X4/4x4_engagment.htm

Old 08-10-2012, 10:30 AM
redneck_ram
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by morcam123
update: went out today looked all over the lever is fine when the shifter goes into 4l. it does move to the far end to the transfer case if you then try to go on 4h then it stops in neutral . I think i may have a problem on the cad. not actuating ,because it is not engaging and the light is not turning on , any ideas how to take it appart ? is this a complicated job ? what to look for ? how to test the cad. ? i think i may be having 2 different problems all toghether, thanksyou all for your time
sounds to me like you got things backwards. on 1998-2001 models the transfer case is 4hi, 2hi, n, 4lo. when shifting into 4hi you are pulled the shifter towards the back of the truck. 4lo is shifting all the way to the front of the truck. 4lo is harder to get into if you dont know how to do it correctly.

can you take a video of how you are shifting, and post it on here?

Old 08-10-2012, 12:43 PM
billcart
Professional

Originally Posted by Jr. Mechanic
Could you please explain how this would destroy the transfer case? There is no reason you must be in 4 high before shifting to 4 low.
You have to be in 4 hi before you go into 4 lo.

Old 08-10-2012, 02:49 PM
redneck_ram
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by billcart
You have to be in 4 hi before you go into 4 lo.
no you dont. you can shift right into 4lo from 2hi on our trucks. trust me, ive done it a thousand times.

Old 08-10-2012, 05:54 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,168 Likes on 2,922 Posts

Shift pattern changed in 98. I think that's where the confusion is coming from.

Old 08-10-2012, 08:41 PM
morcam123

hello again : understand I will not mess with the cad. till we get more info , now on this truck there is two ways to define where the shifter is going, first : my pattern on the shifter is starting on the top closer to the dashboard is 2L. N 2H 4H this last one being closer to the seat , that said when i inspected the linkage on the transfer case underneath the truck this is what it does ,when you shift to 4L.the small arm on the transfer case moves or revolves to the back of the truck . and it went all the way back to what i can see right where is suposed to be the, the truck is not engaging and i have no lights on the dashboard positively not in 4l ,and like I stated before if you try to move the shifter pass the 2h it will not go . so now what is my next step, understand not to touch the cad.what else can i try ? thanks for all your combine help

Old 08-10-2012, 09:22 PM
morcam123

update great info Dh Vaughan after reading some more went out to the truck drove it some like at 3-5 miles per hour put the transmission in neutral and moved the lever up to 4l and it did great light on dashboard turn on and positively engaged on 4x4 L. exellent did this few times all good exept the 4h I can get it to go on 4H. from any position . so part of the problem I guess was lack of not knowing how , any ideas as what else to do ?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4x4 problems 4L. ok , 4h. wont engage help