2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Vibration Damper Removal/Installation

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 01:34 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Karride
Just out of curiosity, why not use the stop tool? damage the piston?
correct. i wouldn't do it.
better - a crow bar or screw driver wedged into starter ring teeth, braced against something solid (not against a machined surface).

Old 09-07-2012, 01:44 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The all-purpose tool of choice!!!

Old 09-07-2012, 06:21 PM
It's Me Patt
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VWandDodge
The all-purpose tool of choice!!!

yup and a BFH too

Old 04-26-2016, 01:10 PM
wjamesbass
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Damper Installation?

I'll be doing a bunch of work on my truck this week (timing chain replacement @ 218,000 miles) but as it pertains to the vibration damper removal and installation I thought it would for the best to add my questions to this thread rather then start a new one.

Rental tools (or at least the Chrysler ones) are almost nonexistent where I have the truck so I am reading the 2001 service manual and trying to figure out how to go about VB removal and installation. I have an impact wrench and a 3 jaw puller, so I think I can get it off. But will I be able to reinstall the damper without the Chrysler special tool?

Would it be possible to drive the damper far enough onto the crankshaft with a deep socket and a "striking devince" (BFH) to reattach the bolt with the impact wrench?

I believe the specs for the vibration damper bolt are at 180 ft/lbs. If I am able to use the impact for installation, should I remove the starter and chock the flywheel for safety's sake?

I'll be looking at the truck this evening and making a strategy going forth, but any advice is appreciated. I don't want to start a project I can't finish!

Thanks!

Old 04-26-2016, 01:18 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,174 Likes on 2,927 Posts

I don't remember if your truck has the pulley as part of the damper or not.... if there are 'holes' in the damper you can put the legs of the puller thru, then that will work fine. Do NOT use a puller that pulls on the outer ring, it's pull right off, and the rest will stay on the truck. (replacement time....)

Could order a puller that uses bolts..... they aren't that expensive, and are surprisingly useful.

To put mine back on, I clean the mating surfaces really well, push the damper on as far as I can by hand, tap it with a deadblow hammer a couple times, thread the bolt in, to make sure it isn't cross-threaded, use a socket/ratchet till it starts to turn the motor, then hit it with the impact. no need to block the flywheel.

Old 04-26-2016, 07:25 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

On the 01 it doesnt have the holes. Its all one piece. You might be able to finagle a 3 jaw puller to work.

All my local auto parts store rent a "Chrylser small block" harmonic balancer puller. So maybe ask for that specific part if you havent already?

Its basicallly a special 3 jaw pull that fits right to hook on the inside or the inner side of the HB with the hooks pointing out.

If you dont want to hit it with a hammer to install, can alway go to down to the store and buy a longer bolt with the same threads as the HB bolt, than stack a couple washers to pull it up till the stock bolt fits.

Is it really 180 ft/lbs?

Old 04-27-2016, 01:32 PM
wjamesbass
Rookie

Hey, thanks to you both! I started disassembly last night. Because I am also replacing my AC components I pulled the condenser. And because I had already drained the radiator I pulled that too, so I have a good look at the vibration damper now.

The crankshaft pulley on my 99 V8 is bolted to the vibration damper, and I do have a bolt-type "peace-sign" puller so I don't think that won't be an issue.

My next mission is to find the right socket; I think I read somewhere that it is 32mm but I may spring for 1-1/4 socket and return it if it doesn't fit.

The loan-a-tool program in my slice of South TX is a long shot. They won't rent to anyone without an "in town" driver's license, possibly from oil field and heavy truck mechanics walking away with just about every tool they would loan out. It would be fun, though, to be doing this in their parking lot!

The torque is indeed 180 ft. lbs, according to the attached page, but if I'm so fortunate to get it back on tomorrow I'm going to crank up the compressor as high as it will go and hit it with the impact, check it with a torque wrench, and move on.

Thanks again!

Attached Files
Old 04-28-2016, 06:57 AM
bargeman
Professional

Originally Posted by Ham Bone
On the 01 it doesnt have the holes. Its all one piece. You might be able to finagle a 3 jaw puller to work.

All my local auto parts store rent a "Chrylser small block" harmonic balancer puller. So maybe ask for that specific part if you havent already?

Its basicallly a special 3 jaw pull that fits right to hook on the inside or the inner side of the HB with the hooks pointing out.

If you dont want to hit it with a hammer to install, can alway go to down to the store and buy a longer bolt with the same threads as the HB bolt, than stack a couple washers to pull it up till the stock bolt fits.

Is it really 180 ft/lbs?
My HB on my 2000 is the same as you described on your 01. Had to use the three legged claw puller. Had to set it up with the hooks on the legs facing out. I wonder when they switched to that design? Or is it just on the 2500/3500 v8s?

Old 05-01-2016, 01:57 AM
Friar Tuck
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking 180 foot pounds?

What if you weigh 180 pounds and jump on the breaker bar with both feet???

Old 05-01-2016, 09:28 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,174 Likes on 2,927 Posts

Originally Posted by Friar Tuck
What if you weigh 180 pounds and jump on the breaker bar with both feet???
The engine turns, your feet slip off the breaker bar, and you end up barking your shins on various hard parts as you fall.

Quick Reply: Vibration Damper Removal/Installation