2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

broke a dist. cap bolt, how to fix PROPERLY

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 11:57 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Originally Posted by redneck_ram
yep new dizzy, got it back in to where it was. i have a pretty good at remembering where things go just by looking at them before removal. new fuel rail, and injectors going in shortly!

1200 dollar truck is turning into a 2k dollar truck pretty damn quick.
Did you expect something different?

Old 09-18-2012, 12:32 PM
jam23
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It will probably be very hard to do this but here i a wa I found that usually works pretty well. If the bolt was lets say a 5/16 then take a 17 or so 64ths and drill straight down the center. After that you should be able o coerce the remaining threads with a pick, punch etc. If all else fails do a heli coil but that should be the last option

Old 09-18-2012, 01:02 PM
redneck_ram
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jam23
It will probably be very hard to do this but here i a wa I found that usually works pretty well. If the bolt was lets say a 5/16 then take a 17 or so 64ths and drill straight down the center. After that you should be able o coerce the remaining threads with a pick, punch etc. If all else fails do a heli coil but that should be the last option
already put a new distributor in, and got it running. just need to set fuel sync, and put a new track bar, and steering stabilizer in.

Old 09-20-2012, 12:37 AM
jam23
Rookie

Steering stabilizer is piece of cake on these truck just threw one in should be easy for you. Pretty sure the track bar is very simple too. Good luck!!!! LONG LIVE YOUR RAM!!!!

Old 09-20-2012, 07:30 AM
redneck_ram
Champion

Originally Posted by jam23
Steering stabilizer is piece of cake on these truck just threw one in should be easy for you. Pretty sure the track bar is very simple too. Good luck!!!! LONG LIVE YOUR RAM!!!!
yep, everything has been replaced, including EVERY tie rod! down at the alignment shop as we speak. just gotta replace the metal vac lines for the 4x4 and the passenger side window regulator when we get it back, and it will be good to go!

Old 09-20-2012, 11:58 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Except you'll need to come over so I can set the sync. And we can go to JY. LOL Maybe tomorrow?

Old 09-20-2012, 01:14 PM
redneck_ram
Champion

Originally Posted by zman17
Except you'll need to come over so I can set the sync. And we can go to JY. LOL Maybe tomorrow?
sync is being set at the shop that did the alignment. they couldnt test drive it because it wouldnt stay running. i can come down on saturday, maybe. cant during the week, cause my daughter goes to school til 1230, and my son gets out at 215. so the week is booked for me.

Old 09-20-2012, 01:38 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by redneck_ram
sync is being set at the shop that did the alignment. they couldnt test drive it because it wouldnt stay running. i can come down on saturday, maybe. cant during the week, cause my daughter goes to school til 1230, and my son gets out at 215. so the week is booked for me.

They open at 8, you'll be home in plenty of time.

Old 09-20-2014, 04:41 PM
moparmadness101
Default Dist cap bolt Problems

Whatever you do do not tap it. Why?? Because the Dist Ignition Pickup Coil underneath is hair trigger sensitive. It need to be lined up perfectly to fire properly at the 1 firing position. The only way to properly do the job is to call the junk yard and buy another distributor, time the truck and you'll be cooking with oil!! The problem with 5.9 series 98-2002 is the timing. It will do funky things. It will not idle properly, your tach will bounce up and down, it will blow white smoke, it will run funny at idle and stall in drive. It will feel like a loss of power. etc. etc.

Buy a 50 dollar distributor setup from a junkyard, then pay 40 for a 1/2 hour install and 1/2 hour timing. Another thing use OEM parts. If you need to replace the Dist ignition pickup go OEM. The aftermarket ones from anywhere else just send codes.

I would not go to a dealer, they are overpriced and will get nowhere with them but a 400 dollar bill.

If that does not fix all your problems do the following. Change your crankshaft sensor, dist cap, rotor, plugs and check your coil. If all else fails, it is fuel related. Pull the tank and replace the sending unit. They are notorious. The clog up quickly, because of the lack of fuel filter.

Good luck and happy dodging!!

Old 09-20-2014, 04:57 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Appreciate the thought, but, this is a two year old thread. I should like to think he has solved this one by now.

Quick Reply: broke a dist. cap bolt, how to fix PROPERLY