2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1999 dodge ram 1500 heating problem

Old 10-25-2012, 03:25 PM
sao
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 dodge ram 1500 heating problem

My 1999 dodge ram does has only cool air come out when I try to turn the heat on. Please, help me with any ideas where to look into to fix this problem!
Thanks

Old 10-30-2012, 07:54 PM
JohnCrawford
Question No heat

I have the same issue, started about 5 years ago. My A/C doesn't work either, cause of a leak, but I have to remove the dash to fix that. As for no heat, I have replaced the water pump, thermostat, all hoses and flushed the systems forward and backward. I'd have to remove the dash to replace the heater core. People tell me there is a "heat box" under the dash that opens to allow heat to come through. I do get a small amount of heat, but not enough when it is really cold. The engine heats up just fine. The Haynes manual doesn't mention a heater box.

1998 Dodge Ram 1500
5.9L 4WD

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Old 10-30-2012, 10:56 PM
CAR.CLINIC
Default Temp/blend door.

Do you feel a temp. difference on the return side of the heater core? or are both hoses hot. (HOT CAREFUL) If both side are about the same then i would check the blend door and the vacume to the blend door valve. HHMM this year may have an electric blend door motor. Does every thing else on in the heating / ac controls seem to work like switching from defrost-vent-floor?

Old 10-30-2012, 11:44 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Welcome to DF
I will move your post to the 2nd Gen Ram section.

Old 10-30-2012, 11:56 PM
dlallen66

Had similiar issue after the loser tranny mechanics R&R'd tranny and they broke the vacuum line on the passenger's side near the tranny dipstick. Fixed the busted line and it all worked. What was happening was it wouldn't switch between defrost to dash to floor. I can't recall if it was messed up changing temps but I do know it wouldn't change air direction. Good luck, let us know what you find out.

Old 10-31-2012, 12:36 AM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnCrawford
As for no heat, I have replaced the water pump, thermostat, all hoses and flushed the systems forward and backward. I'd have to remove the dash to replace the heater core. People tell me there is a "heat box" under the dash that opens to allow heat to come through. I do get a small amount of heat, but not enough when it is really cold.
What it looks like when your instrument panel and steering column are out:

Name:  gaping_holes.png
Views: 15302
Size:  510.3 KB

That big black plastic dude with the ducts that runs from the transmission well to just about the cowl on the passenger side is the HVAC enclosure. If you look closely you can see the copper pipes leading from the top of the heater core into the engine compartment.

It's a big job, but not one that requires all that much mechanical savvy. Just follow the procedure in the 2001 factory service manual that's available in the forum FAQ/DIY section, but instead of disconnecting the electrical connection for the blend door motor, you remove the cable that operates the blend door. One metal clip at the end of the cable just slides right up and off of the blend door actuator shaft, and one plastic doohickey that ties the sheath to the HVAC enclosure, which also just slides up and out -- though it might require a little gentle persuasion after 14 years in place. It's said that you can remove that by going over the top of the instrument panel when it's rocked rearward, but I removed the passenger airbag and reached right in through the hole where it lives.

Then it's just a matter of removing the HVAC enclosure, pulling the heater core out, doing whatever needs doing for your A/C, popping the new heater core in, and "assembly is the opposite of removal". You'll probably want to have on hand four of those plastic snap-in nuts that hold the dash to the firewall up at the top because your old ones are likely cracked... at the dealership, part number 06504485AB, probably $6.25 each.

And if you're sporting the factory original dash, it's probably not going to survive that operation. About $250 will bring you a new one, delivered, from LMC Truck.

Old 10-31-2012, 12:38 AM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by CAR.CLINIC
If both side are about the same then i would check the blend door and the vacume to the blend door valve. HHMM this year may have an electric blend door motor.
The blend door is cable actuated on 98's. The electric motor with the infamous plastic interposer came along in '99.

Old 09-16-2013, 11:34 PM
ClarkGustafson
Default Same issue, but I know it's the cable...

So I have been searching, found this thread. The cable behind the heater/ac switch has a nice kink in it, preventing the heater from being switched on without being inadvertently sprung back to the cool air option.

Do I need to remove my entire dash to repair this?!!

Old 09-17-2013, 08:26 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,164 Likes on 2,918 Posts

Unfortunately, I think you do.... Grab the 96 service manual, repair procedure is in there. (01 won't work, as they went to the electronically controlled temp door in 00)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1999 dodge ram 1500 heating problem