2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transmission question

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 03:03 PM
djkicks
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission question

Just joined as I'm buying a 96 Ram 1500 on Monday. I apologize if my questions have been asked before but I've been looking over the forum and searching for 1/2 an hour and I'm still unsure.

The truck needs a replacement transmission. It will move in 1st if you manually shift it to "1" and it has reverse, that's it. From reading the forum, it appears to be a broken 'sprag'. My question is, is it the hydraulic trans or the electronic one? How do I tell? It appears that year may have one or the other from what I"ve been reading.

Thanks,

DJ

Old 11-10-2012, 09:58 PM
It's Me Patt
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The RE trannys use electronic components to shift gears and the RH's use a hydraulic system to shift..

Old 11-10-2012, 10:13 PM
It's Me Patt
Captain

http://www.ehow.com/info_8734382_dif...smissions.html

or:

The 42RE used an electronic governor to control the transmission’s first through third gear bands, clutches, planetary gear sets and over-running clutch system. The 42RE’s fourth gear featured an overdrive clutch, the direct clutch, over-running clutch and the planetary gear system. Only fourth gear had the overdrive component. The 42RE also came with a lock-up clutch inside the transmission’s torque converter. The 42RE version had a new valve-body transfer system not compatible with any other Chrysler four-speed automatic. Its governor body and electronic components were also different from other electronically controlled automatic transmissions. The transmission was smaller than the 42RH because it did not need the mechanical governor components and tubes.

The 42RH operated its bands, clutches and planetary gear sets via hydraulic mechanical components by applying pressure to the governor for shift speed control. It operated the same as the 46RH version that matched the engine’s Powertrain Control Module, or PCM, which adjusted the vehicle’s speed through the torque converter according to its axle ratio and tire size. The transmission also featured a transmission temperature-control system that worked in tandem with the radiator temperature sensor to keep the transmission cool.

Old 11-11-2012, 10:09 AM
djkicks

Thank you for the replies. I did already understand the difference in operation however. I guess I phrased my question wrong. How do I tell which one is on MY truck? I don't want to get the wrong one to replace it.

Thanks.

Old 11-11-2012, 10:46 AM
charlie1935
Record Breaker

I think both 46RE & 46RH were used in 96.
You can tell by the wiring harness plugs on them but I don't remember how many connectors there is.
The RE has more I believe.
Just get one with matching connectors I'd say.

Old 11-11-2012, 11:11 AM
It's Me Patt
Captain

There's identification #'s stamped on the left side (drivers) just above the oil pan gasket too

Old 11-15-2012, 02:21 PM
djkicks

Ok, I feel a little dumb. After crawling around under the truck and getting all dirty to get the ID # off the housing, I called the dealership to ask about the part number. He simply asked for the last 8#of the VIN and told me that I have the RE. So, next time, I'll just call them first. lol

Old 11-15-2012, 05:52 PM
It's Me Patt
Captain

ha..a drop cloth will keep you clean(er) next time

Quick Reply: Transmission question