2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

full tank of gas only

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 10:23 PM
greg1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default full tank of gas only

Hi,
I have a 99 Ram 1500 with v6 3.9l engine. When I have about half tank of gas engine become shaky, the only way to fix it is to fill the tank. I thought - fuel pump but a mechanic said a pump is OK. I changed sparks, ignition wires, distributor, rotor and still my diagnostic tool says: 0743. Means clutch selenoid torque converter ( or something like this) So I will have to change it but have no idea where is it. Any suggestions?
thanks
greg1

Old 11-13-2012, 10:46 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Welcome to the forum. I dug this up for the code:

- Faulty torque converter clutch solenoid valve
- Torque converter clutch solenoid valve harness is open or shorted
- Torque converter clutch solenoid valve circuit poor electrical connection
- Low transmission fluid level
- Dirty transmission fluid

Have you checked the fluid level and condition? Download the service manual and find/check the connectors for the TCC.

I also thought this was interesting:

This code accompanied by symptoms of power loss and backfiring indicates a defective mass sensor. To verify, check the mass sensor integrity for proper mounting: is the air hose not cracked? air filter clean? Otherwise, check mass sensor supply voltage and ground voltage readings. Before replacing it, service it using a brake spray cleaner. Once the mass sensor is replaced and the code still shows up, then have the trans for performance by monitoring the operating trans pressures.

Last edited by jkeaton; 11-13-2012 at 10:50 PM.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:06 PM
greg1

Just checked it....transmission oil pink, top level...so where is that TCC? how much is it? and how difficult is to change it? This is probably inside transmission

Old 11-14-2012, 09:08 PM
Hahns5.2
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fuel filter may be clogged. When the tank is full, fuel can enter the fuel pump basket from the top and bypass the filter, once the fuel level falls below the top of the basket the clogged fuel filter starves it.

Just my theory.

Old 11-14-2012, 09:28 PM
gene"O"
Default Any issues with harmess going into computer?

Anybody got any ideas? I have a 1995 Ram with a 5.9. Truck has 98,000 miles on it and is in excellent condition. Have owned truck for 12 years with no problems at all until now. Truck runs great and then will just shut off (no spark). I have had the computer replaced as well as cam sensor and auto shut off relay. Anyone know of or have had problems with the harness going into the computer? It seems that somtimes when the truck stops running I can play with the harness and the truck will then start back up and run perfectly. Problem is intermittent and a real pain in the ***. I would rather the damn thing not run at all so it would be easier to diagnose. Thanks guys, I appreciate any help!

Old 11-14-2012, 10:49 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by gene"O"
Anybody got any ideas? I have a 1995 Ram with a 5.9. Truck has 98,000 miles on it and is in excellent condition. Have owned truck for 12 years with no problems at all until now. Truck runs great and then will just shut off (no spark). I have had the computer replaced as well as cam sensor and auto shut off relay. Anyone know of or have had problems with the harness going into the computer? It seems that somtimes when the truck stops running I can play with the harness and the truck will then start back up and run perfectly. Problem is intermittent and a real pain in the ***. I would rather the damn thing not run at all so it would be easier to diagnose. Thanks guys, I appreciate any help!
Take all the connectors apart. Check for corrosion. Clean. Put back together with plenty of dielectric grease. Eliminate each connector, one at a time. You'll find it eventually.

Old 11-15-2012, 09:36 PM
greg1

It looks for for me that fuel filter is clogged too. In the good old days fuel filters were outside the tank, very easy to change, now they are probably inside the tank. Who designed this??? Someone who never repaired anything!!! Now to access the filter I will have to remove the tank first. For a shop is a couple hundred dollars repair to change 10 dollar part.

Old 11-16-2012, 10:49 AM
Nereaga
Captain

The fuel filter and fuel pump is a one piece unit. Not a $10 part...

Quick Reply: full tank of gas only