2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Oil Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 04:04 PM
hiusmell
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil Pressure

Last night I left my cargo light on, so today my battery was dead, I used my jumper pack and jumped the truck, I let it run for a few minutes but I noticed the oil pressure gauge was higher then usual. I turned it off the let it sit for about 10 mins. Went back to start it, it started but wouldn't stay running on its own had to give it gas to stay running and oil pressure was still high the guage being at about 75-80 I would say.
For haha's I checked the oil it was over the full line, I don't know why, maybe filled it when it wasn't level last time. I'm due for an oil change anyways so I changed the oil put a little less then 5qts in, missed a little. Went for a drive around the block, at idle oil pressure is a little less then 40, but any time I hit the gas it will climb to 75-80 again. Come to a stop back to 40. Any ideas?
Sorry for the long story, just want to put in any details I could think of.

Old 11-15-2012, 04:11 PM
hiusmell
Captain

Also forgot to say after the first time of it not staying running, I kept my foot on the gas until it would idle on it's own. That doesn't happen anymore just that one time. I think I heard before that if the battery completely drains then the computer has to "relearn" idle.

Old 11-15-2012, 04:32 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by hiusmell
Also forgot to say after the first time of it not staying running, I kept my foot on the gas until it would idle on it's own. That doesn't happen anymore just that one time. I think I heard before that if the battery completely drains then the computer has to "relearn" idle.
You are correct about the PCM relearning idle after battery is dead or disconnected. I wouldn't worry about the oil pressure. Could just be the sending unit. You have pressure though, so be happy.

Old 11-15-2012, 05:12 PM
kejobe
Record Breaker
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Also the oil pressure will rise with the rpm. Normal.

Old 11-15-2012, 06:30 PM
hiusmell
Captain

Ok thanks

Old 11-15-2012, 06:54 PM
Ramzy
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

x2 mine does the exact same thing and always has.

Quick Reply: Oil Pressure