2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Need Help or Ideas

Old 11-24-2012, 11:40 PM
Torchedit
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help or Ideas

Looking for some suggestions. Replaced rear drum brakes, hardware, and new drums twice, thought the new ones were warped. Still have a pulsation in the pedal. Today replaced rotors, pads and hardware on the front. Still have the pulsation in the pedal. Can't feel it in the steering wheel. Out of Ideas. When going slow, it doesnt seem to do it, only from higher speeds when braking. Like 35, 45, and 55. I am out of ideas. I have double checked the back brakes, made sure all the shoes were in correct locations and all springs were correct. Today made sure mounting surfaces were smooth and lubed all the hardware and slides. Still no luck.

2000 Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4.

Old 11-25-2012, 12:24 AM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 297 Likes on 281 Posts

A few things to try - have you ever changed your brake fluid? If not, power flush it and replace it with a DOT 4 fluid. Other item to check are your front wheel bearings. If they are bad, they can possibly cause the rotor to wobble enough to cause this issue. Also check your calipers to ensure that they move freely on the mounting bolts and aren't binding and dragging the pads on the rotor(s) full time, causing the rotors to heat up and wobble/pulsation. Lastly, could be the front brake hoses - they may not be allowing proper fluid flow and can cause the caliper to hang and overheat the rotor, which can cause wobble/pulsation.

Last edited by AtomicDog; 11-25-2012 at 12:28 AM.
Old 11-25-2012, 10:11 AM
Shade tree mechanic

Do you have rear anti-lock brakes? It may be that kicking in if it only happens when stopping from higher speeds.

Old 11-25-2012, 03:40 PM
Timothy Watrous
Professional

Originally Posted by Shade tree mechanic
Do you have rear anti-lock brakes? It may be that kicking in if it only happens when stopping from higher speeds.
i agree, its got to be abs

Old 11-25-2012, 06:22 PM
Torchedit

Is there any easy way to disable the ABS to see if it is the problem?

Old 11-25-2012, 09:34 PM
QuadCabLuv
Record Breaker

you could pull the abs relay, well i know a 95 has one.

Old 11-26-2012, 01:13 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Did you ever adjust your rear drums? There is an adjustment you have to adjust to get them set right.. little spindle looking thing. it affects the parking break and also your pads on how close or how far away they sit and also can effect braking power in the rear.

Old 11-27-2012, 07:29 PM
Torchedit

Tried pulling the abs relay. Same pulsation in the pedal and seat. I have had the rear drums off multiple times, adjusted the self adjusters so I could just slide the drums on. No change. I am out of ideas. Not sure if the rear shocks could be the problem, but they don't seem that bad.

Old 11-28-2012, 08:37 AM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 297 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by AtomicDog
A few things to try - have you ever changed your brake fluid? If not, power flush it and replace it with a DOT 4 fluid. Other item to check are your front wheel bearings. If they are bad, they can possibly cause the rotor to wobble enough to cause this issue. Also check your calipers to ensure that they move freely on the mounting bolts and aren't binding and dragging the pads on the rotor(s) full time, causing the rotors to heat up and wobble/pulsation. Lastly, could be the front brake hoses - they may not be allowing proper fluid flow and can cause the caliper to hang and overheat the rotor, which can cause wobble/pulsation.
Your issue may not be ABS related. Have you looked into any of the items noted above?

Old 11-28-2012, 01:27 PM
kejobe
Record Breaker
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Have the rotors checked also. Ive gotten brand new warped ones before.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need Help or Ideas