2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-06-2015, 01:26 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lighting
Print Wikipost

2000 RAM 1500 dim headlights

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 09:20 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,174 Likes on 2,927 Posts

Aren't DRL's just running the low beams during the day? (my truck is not so equipped.)

Replace your housing with the correct Sport Headlights.
Run the relay harness for the headlights, so the switch simply controls the relays. You get better light output from your headlights, and less likelihood of a smoked headlight switch. (seems too common on these trucks.)

With the relay harness, you can alter the wiring such that the lows stay on with high beams. MUCH better light output with them all on.

Old 12-15-2012, 01:27 PM
baileysoffroad
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Aren't DRL's just running the low beams during the day? (my truck is not so equipped.)

Replace your housing with the correct Sport Headlights.
Run the relay harness for the headlights, so the switch simply controls the relays. You get better light output from your headlights, and less likelihood of a smoked headlight switch. (seems too common on these trucks.)

With the relay harness, you can alter the wiring such that the lows stay on with high beams. MUCH better light output with them all on.
Thanks for the tip, ill research this relay trick, i know we have some threads on it.

heres a pic of the drl's i was talking about, perhaps some call them fog lamps. The little round ones in the bumper.

Name:  20121209_142305.jpg
Views: 2105
Size:  203.2 KB

Old 12-15-2012, 02:15 PM
truckdriver12

So 9004 bulbs won't work in the sport models?

Posted from Dodgeforum.com App for Android

Old 12-15-2012, 06:59 PM
baileysoffroad
Veteran

Originally Posted by truckdriver12
So 9004 bulbs won't work in the sport models?

Posted from Dodgeforum.com App for Android
Thats the verdict...while the lights will come on they will not work properly due to the different pin outs. here are some of the posts from earlier in the thread

Originally Posted by UnregisteredUser
If the harness hasn't been diddled, then you need 9007's. The plugs for both 9004's and 9007's are the same, but the pinout is different. Looking into the base of the lamp with the key up, 9004's are pinned, left to right, as common, low beam, high beam. 9007's are high beam, common, low beam. A quick visual ID, if you can see the filaments: 9004 filaments are transverse (from one side of the envelope to the other) while 9007 filaments are axial (aligned with the long side of the envelope).
Originally Posted by dodge dude94
'ight.
Here's the deal, Bailey, your truck is a 99+ Sport model. Those trucks have two bulbs her housing, STOCK. Your truck, however, does not have the STOCK housings, it has aftermarket housings that are not Sport-compatible. So, unless you want to futz around with the connectors, your best method would be finding new housings that are Sport replacements.

Hell, twin bulbs look better anyway.

Old 05-24-2015, 11:29 AM
icemm
Default Its your bulbs

I had exactly the same thing and found that the wrong bulbs were installed. I don't remember the numbers but I think 9004 bulbs cause this and 9007s are the right ones. They both fit but they have different connections.

The high beam indicator light in dash stays on bright. I have restored lenses, replaced bulbs with higher quality bulbs, replaced headlight switch and blinker/ high-low beam switch as well as fuses. Research indicates a bad ground but I have cleaned all grounds as well. I am baffled at this point. The truck is for my 16 year old to drive but it is not safe for him at night. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Chris[/QUOTE]

Old 05-24-2015, 11:43 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Change over to the heavy duty relay harness for the headlights. That should alleviate your issues, and also give better performance from the lights.

Old 09-28-2016, 10:08 PM
JohnBoy420
Default Please help.... I am agervated bad....

Hi ... I'm new at this forum thing.... I've just bought a 2001 ram 1500 .
I have a headlight issue I can't figure out. Driver side is dim passenger side is brighter but doesn't light up the road that well. I've cleaned up 2 grounds by the batery . replaced the driver buld ... No difference still dim ... Replaced the headlight switch today and still dim...

I did check fuses under the hood and even swooped LH FUSE with the RH FUSE several times No difference... I do have 12V to both sides of the fuses....

NOW HERE IS THE KICKER!!!!!!
I pull the LH FUSE out.... No change ... Light still on
I pull the RH FUSE out.... Both go out....

I've pulled the FUSE box apart thinking that the wire come lose for some unknown reason... Both were connected good to bottom prongs to the LH & RH headlight FUSE slots.....

Please help... You might have to email me cause I'm not sure if I'll receive a notice on the forum update.... gabriele4life@gmail.com this goes directly to my cell phone ....
Thanks for any advice on this.... I'm at wits end...

Old 06-10-2019, 04:15 PM
Brandy A Dowdy
Default 2000 dodge ram sport 1500

I have the dual headlight bulbs. 9004 on dim and 9007 on high. Previous owner changed wiring to work for a single bulb. I ordered the correct headlights that belong in the truck and rewired it back. Both high and low beams are working but are very dim. I have checked headlight part numbers checked all the grounds and have come up empty. I really think the wiring we had to do going to the bulbs themselves may be mixed up. Nobody I know has the dual headlights for me to be able to look at the wiring to see and nothing I have found on Google has been helpful in seeing what wires go where on each bulb. Can anyone help me with this. I really need my headlight working properly. I have to drive with my high beams and my LED fog lights to see anything.

Old 06-10-2019, 08:37 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Grab the 01 service manual for your truck from here. It will be close enough...... You either have low voltage to the headlights, high resistance in the wiring somewhere, or bad grounds. (and they don't necessarily ground where you think they do. ) LMC truck also offers a heavy duty wiring harness, that just uses the headlight switch to control a couple relays, and the relays supply power to the bulbs. (MUCH brighter than stock.) As you have the quad headlamps, it might be more fun to find one though.... (not 100% LMC has one for the sport trucks, but, I bet someone makes one.)

Welcome to DF!

Quick Reply: 2000 RAM 1500 dim headlights