2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Want to go faster than the 5.7 hemi

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 07:28 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You can build a lot into a 360. And that's without stroking it or forced induction.

3-4 grand is Cheaper than a new truck, and cheaper than a good used one

Plus the second gens are the prettiest trucks ever made!

Old 03-04-2013, 07:31 PM
redneck_ram
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VWandDodge
Trucks are for hauling cargo, not for hauling ***.
which is what my 360 is being built for... towing and plowing, and being an overall amazing DD

Old 03-04-2013, 10:41 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by heavyduty1983
Thanks yall I can get him from 0-40 mph after that I'm toast. When he leaves his traction control on his rear wheels hit and miss without tc on he burns up tires lol. I was gonna do the 408 but the more I read the more work is required. I was actually gonna start buying parts for the 360 I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to push the block over it's limit. And I thought about the diesel but it's so out played here in Waco, tx kinda lame.

Really?

Originally Posted by Sooper
I guess the biggest question...how much $$$ are you willing to spend to beat your friend?....

Be prepared to spend a bunch!

Originally Posted by Sooper
My point is that the whole question is silly. "OMG my friend has a newer and more powerful truck and I want to beat him." I wish my biggest problem was if I should spend a couple grand to make a 20 year old truck faster than a 4 year old truck for bragging rights. LOL.

Kind of what I was thinking!

If you really want to do this, spend some time reading some of the recent rebuild threads. Tons of great info and problems encountered as weell as solutions.

Old 03-04-2013, 11:21 PM
heavyduty1983
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

May seem silly to want to build it up just to beat him but I wanted a semi fast truck and the fact that it would be his old one that beat him makes it that much better. I don't mind spending the money I just like the fact that it's bought and paid for. I do not like any newer vehicles out on the market that's why I bought this 94 and also have my 99. These are the best looking truck's imo the 3rd gear in his hemi is where he's found the most power. Since I can get him off the line I may not need to go all out in this build to beat him. I have been browsing all over this site and getting alot of info from just yalls signatures so finding our what I need to order ain't going to be 2 difficult. Thanks for yalls input and assistance.

Old 03-04-2013, 11:35 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by VWandDodge
Trucks are for hauling cargo, not for hauling ***.
What if *** is the cargo?

Old 03-04-2013, 11:43 PM
gdstock
Legend

Originally Posted by aim4squirrels

Old 03-05-2013, 12:00 AM
Johnn123
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn. You had to go there didn't you?

Old 03-05-2013, 12:04 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

An exception would be made for Texas women folk.

Old 03-05-2013, 07:42 AM
Sooper
Captain

Originally Posted by heavyduty1983
May seem silly to want to build it up just to beat him but I wanted a semi fast truck and the fact that it would be his old one that beat him makes it that much better. I don't mind spending the money I just like the fact that it's bought and paid for. I do not like any newer vehicles out on the market that's why I bought this 94 and also have my 99. These are the best looking truck's imo the 3rd gear in his hemi is where he's found the most power. Since I can get him off the line I may not need to go all out in this build to beat him. I have been browsing all over this site and getting alot of info from just yalls signatures so finding our what I need to order ain't going to be 2 difficult. Thanks for yalls input and assistance.

I think you'll still need a more powerful engine. He's got a much more broad power band, meaning you're gearing is getting you off the line faster but his engine starts to really out pull yours at higher RPMs. You'll need to get in that ballpark if you really want him to keep from catching you after you beat him from jump.

Old 03-05-2013, 09:02 AM
Blackbox19
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What gears do you both have? Lower gears get that weight up and moving quicker.

Quick Reply: Want to go faster than the 5.7 hemi