2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transmission compatability

Old 03-20-2013, 10:30 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,170 Likes on 2,923 Posts

Originally Posted by stewie01
overdrive is overrated anyway.
Tell that to my gas gauge.

Old 03-20-2013, 10:36 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou

Doed "E" mean "Enough?"

Old 03-21-2013, 06:40 AM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Someone on nice flant ground, no hills to screw with mileage numbers, should do a test, 1 full tank on NOTHING but Overdrive OFF, and 1 full tank of Normal use of Overdrive, and see how the mpg's turn out.

Here in the mountains, I hardly ever see Overdrive......

Originally Posted by gdstock
Doed "E" mean "Enough?"
"Enough of this ****" maybe

Old 05-20-2013, 10:25 AM
Paul DeHayes
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Funny I found this post, because I just found out today I have a '01 tranny in my '99 (production date on the sticker on the passenger side of the tranny says 03/21/01). I am curious though, is there any difference in pressure sensor/transducer output voltage between these two years? I was talking to my transmission guy today and he seems to think so, saying that he'd have to revert the internal wiring harness so that the correct sensor set could be used (thus making me think that the current voltage difference could be enough to fool the PCM and cause my tranny to downshift after it hits 3rd, which I still think is a governor pressure solenoid issue, but anyway).

Just a bit of history: I've been having problems with my trans wanting to downshift to 1st (I believe) shortly after it hits 3rd gear. However, after it does this, if you give it more throttle, it will shift normally and into OD as well. Like I said above, I still think this is a governor pressure solenoid issue, but if any of you guys have input, it's greatly appreciated.

Old 05-20-2013, 10:37 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

The differences were minor. If you are actually shifting into O/D, and TCC is working, then all is good in sensor land. (at least, it has the right ones in it.....) Pressure sensor might be having some issues though. Would be nice to be able to see what the PCM thinks pressure is doing when your problem presents itself.

Old 05-21-2013, 12:51 AM
Paul DeHayes
Professional

It does go in O/D after it does the whole downshift from 3rd and go through the gears again deal, just have to give it a little more gas. When my trans guy gets a bay open here soon (not having room at home sucks for the record lol), he's going to plug her in and monitor during a test drive. Good thing I thought ahead and went ahead with getting the BW HD solenoid and the transducer so I don't have to pay his parts mark-up :P

Old 05-21-2013, 08:41 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Test the TPS as well..... Just for giggles.

Old 05-21-2013, 11:02 PM
Paul DeHayes
Professional

When the trans guy and myself take it for a drive, I will make sure to ask him to monitor this as well during operation. Though I don't have enough dough for the real fix via a PATC tranny, I do have enough to replace any sensor I don't have in the process, so all should be good. A big thank you for the info Hey, and I will be updating though it's looking more like next Tuesday due to him being completely slammed. (I know one thing though: after getting this fixed, next stop's the plenum plate)

Old 09-22-2013, 10:08 PM
TomSmalley

I have a 2 x 2 1998 dodge ram quad cab that coasted to the side of road ,had it towed to shop and a month later they drove it to the house ,they said it went in forward and reverse , 2 months later I tried it and it also went in both, someone thought it was the converter that went out , should I pay someone to change that out or could it be a sensor or what?

Old 09-23-2013, 09:39 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by TomSmalley
I have a 2 x 2 1998 dodge ram quad cab that coasted to the side of road ,had it towed to shop and a month later they drove it to the house ,they said it went in forward and reverse , 2 months later I tried it and it also went in both, someone thought it was the converter that went out , should I pay someone to change that out or could it be a sensor or what?
2 or 4 wheel drive? (2x2 is a board.....)

So, what is it not doing? Might want to start your own thread for this problem.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transmission compatability