2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Crazy headlight problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 03:16 PM
liftedtruck
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crazy headlight problem

So my passanger side headlamp bulb somehow exploded the other day, and when I went to put a new bulb in I have a fun new problem.... on my instrument cluster in the dash my indicator light for my brights is now barely visible while my low beams are on and it lights up bright blue like it's supposed to when I turn my brights are on..... but when my dims are on outside the truck both lights look about the same brightness if not a bit brighter on the drivers side, but when I turn on the brights my drivers side brights come on and my passanger side gets a touch dimmer than normal and will not get "bright".... I wiggled and jiggled all wires possible to no avail, I checked the fuses in the cab and underthe hood but no luck.... both bulbs are matching.... why would the blue brights indicator light be showing up dim when I turn on my headlamps??? keeping in mind the blue indicator light gets bright like it's supposed to when I turn the brights on???? HELP PLEASE

Old 10-11-2013, 03:24 PM
97r/tram
Veteran

Put a volt meter on the positive on both sides. Post what you get.

Old 10-11-2013, 06:50 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by liftedtruck
So my passanger side headlamp bulb somehow exploded the other day, and when I went to put a new bulb in I have a fun new problem.... on my instrument cluster in the dash my indicator light for my brights is now barely visible while my low beams are on and it lights up bright blue like it's supposed to when I turn my brights are on..... but when my dims are on outside the truck both lights look about the same brightness if not a bit brighter on the drivers side, but when I turn on the brights my drivers side brights come on and my passanger side gets a touch dimmer than normal and will not get "bright".... I wiggled and jiggled all wires possible to no avail, I checked the fuses in the cab and underthe hood but no luck.... both bulbs are matching.... why would the blue brights indicator light be showing up dim when I turn on my headlamps??? keeping in mind the blue indicator light gets bright like it's supposed to when I turn the brights on???? HELP PLEASE
Some info on your truck would be nice! Like what year for example. Please add ALL the info about your truck to your sig and profile.(dont just reply with the year, add the info as stated please) Might or might not be important for this particular problem, but it will also help with any future problems you may have. Not all 2nd gen Rams are created equal.

Old 10-11-2013, 10:44 PM
Jimythefan
All Star
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

What do you mean when you say 'exploded'? Did it damage the housing or wiring plug in any way? It sounds a lot like a ground, or wiring issue is causing feedback through the low beam circuit.

Old 10-12-2013, 08:47 AM
redneck_ram
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you put the correct bulb in? 94-98 uses a 9004 and non sports from 99-01 use the 9004 and sports use a 9004 and 9007 bulbs.

Old 10-12-2013, 03:00 PM
Ramzy
Veteran

Sounds to me like you have a short somewhere. Time to check out the wiring diagram and check all connectors etc. But if I had to venture a guess I would say in the headlamp switch or the multifunction switch in the steering column.

Old 10-15-2013, 07:58 PM
liftedtruck

haven't been back on since I posted, thanks for the input.... i'll try to figure out how to put my trucks info in my sig.... and it's a 98' 4wd shortbed, reg. cab st. 5.9 360.. thanks again guys...I will start trouble shooting and get back with ya's

Old 10-16-2013, 10:51 AM
VARam1500
Amateur

Recently after my wife had driven my truck, the abs light was on (full bright) and my parking brake indicator light was on half-bright when the brake was off and full-bright with brake on. No codes, CEL, or change in performance. It stayed that way even after engine off and restart. I disconnected and reconnected the battery and it went away. You may want to try a reboot like that.
--VARam...

Quick Reply: Crazy headlight problem