2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Leveling Kit

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 01:46 PM
ThaBigYoss
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leveling Kit

I have a 2001 Ram 1500 Sport 5.9L Off-Road Edition and I am thinking about getting a leveling kit. I have the factory 1.75 inches of lift since it's the Off-Road Edition and then also have 3' body and 3' suspension on it too. I'm looking at getting a leveling kit though because how much lower the front end is drives me crazy. I'm looking at the one on hellbentsteel.com for a 2' leveling kit. Will this affect my performance in any way?

Old 04-07-2013, 02:08 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

As far as know, you are at the 3" limit. So it's going to get expensive from here on out.

Old 04-07-2013, 02:21 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ThaBigYoss
I have a 2001 Ram 1500 Sport 5.9L Off-Road Edition and I am thinking about getting a leveling kit. I have the factory 1.75 inches of lift since it's the Off-Road Edition and then also have 3' body and 3' suspension on it too. I'm looking at getting a leveling kit though because how much lower the front end is drives me crazy. I'm looking at the one on hellbentsteel.com for a 2' leveling kit. Will this affect my performance in any way?
Got any more info on this kit? If the kit was not for a Off-road truck then all you did was lift it 1.25" over what it was, as posted you are at your limit using stock parts. Get a set of 5" coil springs plus lot's more parts, or look at a 5" lift kit. As posted once you get over 3" it gets more complicated and costly.

Edit; Unless the kit say's for off-road truck you must take off 1.75 inches from the kits height; IE a 5" kit will get you 3.25 inches of lift over what it was. I would also NOT be using spring spacers with lift coils, see warning below.

Under NO circumstances are SKYJACKER® coil springs to be used in conjunction with any type of
coil spring or spring tower block/spacer. The use of coil spring block/spacers will allow ANY coil
spring to exceed its designed stress and travel loads allowing it be overstressed, oversprung,
fatigued, and possibly break. SKYJACKER® warranty is void under any such application.

Last edited by merc225hp; 04-07-2013 at 02:26 PM.
Old 04-07-2013, 04:38 PM
ThaBigYoss
Rookie

What exactly is the three inch limit? What all do you have to replace after you go higher?

Old 04-07-2013, 05:57 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,174 Likes on 2,927 Posts

Shocks, pitman arm, need to do something about the trackbar. Control arms. Swaybar links, or drop brackets.

Old 04-07-2013, 06:43 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Shocks, pitman arm, need to do something about the trackbar. Control arms. Swaybar links, or drop brackets.

So basically, it can be done but requires the additional parts and labor. Just adds to the cost considerably. Without doing this part, your ride will not be satisfactory, will create excessive wear, and compromise safety - yours and others.

No one is trying to talk you out of lifting your truck - we just want you to do it safely.

Old 04-07-2013, 09:32 PM
ThaBigYoss
Rookie

So even just a leveling kit will make that stuff bad?

Old 04-07-2013, 09:51 PM
kejobe
Record Breaker
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Make sure to post pics of this 8 foot lift.

Old 04-08-2013, 12:50 AM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

lolz Kejobe.

TheBigYoss, using " means inches and using ' means foot.

A pertinent question here is...what is the brand of your 3" suspension lift? If you don't know, can you post pictures here showing the following:

1. Trackbar, and it's connection to the frame
2. Control Arms
3. Top of your coil springs

Old 04-08-2013, 09:57 PM
ThaBigYoss
Rookie

Oh my bad on that haha, and I will try to post some pictures of my lift on here tomorrow. Anybody know how exactly to do that from an Iphone though?

Quick Reply: Leveling Kit