2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

timing chain cover, rear main seal, possibly head gasket to

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 12:25 AM
Lobo88
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool timing chain cover, rear main seal, possibly head gasket to

Soooo I had my 2000 dodge ram inspected yesterday and was told my rear main seal was pissing out oil and my timing chain cover was also leaking, and on top of that while changing my spark plugs tonight it also looks like my driver side head gasket may have blown. (may have as im not a mechanic)

This is on a remanufactured engine that has barely 2k miles on it.

Any ideas on what caused this triple threat would be greatly appreciated :]

Old 04-13-2013, 12:38 AM
gdstock
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure what caused it...but I would be getting in touch with who you bought it from immediately! Who installed it? Same as who sold it to you?

What is the warranty?

Old 04-13-2013, 12:45 AM
Lobo88
Amateur

my mechanic back home installed it. im taking it back either tomorrow or Monday if this snow storm doesn't hit to hard. they bought it from a dealership I think. it has a 3yr 36k mile warranty. my mechanic called the place they ordered the engine from and they are backing the warranty for the rear main seal and timing cover. ill have to wait and see about the head gasket since I only noticed it tonight around 10pm

Old 04-13-2013, 12:57 AM
gdstock
Legend

Was it a long block or short block? Head and gasket issue should be covered as well!

Old 04-13-2013, 01:03 AM
Lobo88
Amateur

it was a long block. id imagine itll be covered. my mechanic backs there work 100% also so im not worried.

still stumped on the cause though. I did notice what I thought was an exhaust leak when the engine is under load ( i.e. accelerating). just put headers on last week figuring my manifolds were shot. sound is still there. is it possible I had an exhaust leak from the bottom of the head? felt like there may have been a exhaust leak around there. thought I was imagining things though.

Old 04-13-2013, 01:15 AM
gdstock
Legend

Possible if heads were not torqued properly or were not decked.

Old 04-13-2013, 01:18 AM
Lobo88
Amateur

Hmm alright ill have them check the torque specs before they remove the head if the gasket is blown. thanks for your input gdstock

Old 04-13-2013, 08:49 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

damn, this is disappointing.

what makes you think the head gasket is leaking? if its oil, its more likely a valve cover gasket. a head gasket leak would be pretty catastrophic and involve coolant and compression loss and it would run like ****.

exhaust leak on headers, or any exhaust manifold work, is common. its hard to get them tight, and get them to stay tight. use antiseize on the threads and keep retorquing regularly. eventually they'll stay tight.

Old 04-13-2013, 12:06 PM
gdstock
Legend

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
damn, this is disappointing.

what makes you think the head gasket is leaking? if its oil, its more likely a valve cover gasket. a head gasket leak would be pretty catastrophic and involve coolant and compression loss and it would run like ****.

exhaust leak on headers, or any exhaust manifold work, is common. its hard to get them tight, and get them to stay tight. use antiseize on the threads and keep retorquing regularly. eventually they'll stay tight.

I was wondering the same, but the rear main and timing cover leak are enough to get it warrantied. Bottom line, a guy pays for a rebuilt engine, it should be built correctly!

Old 04-14-2013, 10:04 AM
Lobo88
Amateur

the head gasket isn't leaking, more like it blew out. I just see what looks like coolant covering various components in the engine compartment on the driver side. oh and for some odd reason im getting better mpg on the highway LOL. had to drive it 6 hours yesterday to get it home.

Quick Reply: timing chain cover, rear main seal, possibly head gasket to