2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Does not turn over-pic added

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 09:53 AM
rustynuts
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will have to check for that when I get back home from work tonight

I will report back.

Thank-you so much for your help on this--I dont have the cash to get it towed in and looked at right now--want to try and work my way through with the help here first before I throw in the towel

Old 04-19-2013, 09:54 AM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does it do this when it's just wet/damp/humid outside or all the time?

The reason I ask is because these trucks get cracked distributor caps and they like to do that when they're cracked.

Old 04-19-2013, 09:56 AM
rustynuts
Amateur

also, it sounds like it wants to start on some turns--the engine sputters then it just stops even if my foot is pummping the fuel pedal

Old 04-19-2013, 09:58 AM
rustynuts
Amateur

Originally Posted by dodge dude94
Does it do this when it's just wet/damp/humid outside or all the time?

The reason I ask is because these trucks get cracked distributor caps and they like to do that when they're cracked.

Humid/damp wet has been a correlation for this issue in the past--did it to me also last spring, but the issue then cleared up. It is much worse now

The distributer cap replace sounds like a cheap fix and will not hurt to try--thanks!

Old 04-19-2013, 10:00 AM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

Originally Posted by rustynuts
Humid/damp wet has been a correlation for this issue in the past--did it to me also last spring, but the issue then cleared up. It is much worse now

The distributer cap replace sounds like a cheap fix and will not hurt to try--thanks!
Yep. Just remember to get a cap and rotor (might as well replace both since you're back there) that have brass contacts, since brass is a better conductor of electricity than aluminum.

And ALSO!! Get a smallish square of sand paper and sand the distributor shaft after you take the rotor off. Don't be like me and snap two rotors because you weren't able to push them down all the way.

Old 04-19-2013, 02:53 PM
chromed95
Captain

Have I mis understood somewhere?...You said it's not turning over which to me is saying the engine is not turning over period. Is it not firing? But looks like you are on the right track with these guys help. Good Luck!

Old 04-19-2013, 04:01 PM
QuadCabLuv
Record Breaker

Did it sit all winter with gas in it? Did you put any stabil in the gas? May just be a issue of bad gas. Try spraying some starter fluid down the throttle body and see if it starts.

Old 04-19-2013, 07:32 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by rustynuts
Check engine light is on when I'm turning the key to try to get it to start and turn over.
"turn over" what does that mean? The engine does not spin when you turn the key or the engine won't start but cranks/spin's ?

Old 04-19-2013, 08:44 PM
rustynuts
Amateur

not turnover=does not fire
sorry for any confusion - in this area of the nort woods thats what I have heard for this situation, maybe I hang with the wrong crowd who knows

Tonight it is 25 degrees and dry air now from winds all day

the truck started up on first turn

with that, i'm thinking the dizzy cap must be cracked like mentioned

guess I remove entire air cleaner to even have attempt to touch the dizzy back there--what were the engineers thinking.....

dizzy= distributer

Old 04-19-2013, 09:07 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Not turning over= engine does not crank/spin as far as I know. Not starting or firing up is a whole different deal.

Quick Reply: Does not turn over-pic added