2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

what happens when serpitine belt snaps while driving

Old 04-21-2013, 10:02 PM
smoky614
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what happens when serpitine belt snaps while driving

Well i got a worn belt and a tensioner that needs replaced. Parts are in the mail on the way. But i still got to get back and forth to work till they show up. So i Was just wondering what would happend if my belt snapped or jumped off while i was driving. I know my alt, water pump, a\c and power steering would go out but that dont sound to bad. But theres a few pullys that i dont know what they control. Is it anything thatll cause major damage like a crankshaft or somthing along them lines?

Old 04-21-2013, 10:17 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Engine could overheat and self destruct, alternator would stop functioning and battery would go dead. Pieces of belt could cause outer mischief under hood. Not much way to tell.

Could not get the part locally? About a 30 minute installation.

Old 04-21-2013, 10:29 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

with no belt, you'll have no waterpump action.
engine WILL overheat very quickly, continuing to run it will destroy it.

red GEN light will come on (no alternator action.
you'll lose power steering.

Old 04-21-2013, 11:06 PM
smoky614
Professional

well they wanted almost $80 for the tensioner and about 50 for the belt. But i found them both on jcwhitney for $50 with free shipping, couldnt pass it up! Parts should be here within the week and if it does pop off or snap(the belt itself aint in horrible shape, more worried bout the tension giving out) then im definetly gonna stop, so i shouldnt have to worry about the overheating thing!(all country roads)

Old 04-21-2013, 11:12 PM
gdstock
Legend

That's a little high. $67 at AZ, not counting mfg rebate.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...mString=search

Old 04-21-2013, 11:25 PM
DodgeDodgeDodge
Amateur

Not to high jack, but I have reason to believe my belt is slipping a little bit. Does anybody know if the symptoms generally get worse before either belt or tensioner gives out? or is it just sporadic?

Old 04-21-2013, 11:26 PM
smoky614
Professional

yep,yep. napa was charging the same but then add tax and im looking at roughly $75 and ill still need a new belt(another $45). I found a replacement brand tensioner for $27 and $24 for the belt. Kinda hard to beat you know!!

Old 04-21-2013, 11:30 PM
gdstock
Legend

Originally Posted by smoky614
yep,yep. napa was charging the same but then add tax and im looking at roughly $75 and ill still need a new belt(another $45). I found a replacement brand tensioner for $27 and $24 for the belt. Kinda hard to beat you know!!

Hope it lasts. AZ one has mfg rebate as well. And brand of belt makes a difference in squealing....

Old 04-21-2013, 11:36 PM
smoky614
Professional

well i dont know alot, but i can safely say the louder it squeals, the worst its getting.lol and if you look closely at the belt, you'll notice that itll start to get cracks through it. which aint a good sign!(easier to inspect if you take it off) As far as the tensioner goes, i noticed mine was bad when i took off the belt and went to put it back on I had to tighten it back manually. it should be spring loaded which means as soon as you let pressure off the wrench it snaps back to the original position. hope this helps!

Old 04-21-2013, 11:40 PM
smoky614
Professional

Originally Posted by gdstock
Hope it lasts. AZ one has mfg rebate as well. And brand of belt makes a difference in squealing....
That ws my biggest concern, Ive always went with napa, but im kinda on a tight budget right now. but i heard good things about the "OE Replacement brand". I guess there only one way to know for sure right!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: what happens when serpitine belt snaps while driving