2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Brake dilemma

Old 04-27-2013, 10:16 AM
GRed
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brake dilemma

2000 ram sport 360 I have been dealing with this issue I believe since my first brake change or at least that's when I can remember and it may have been later then that,maybe during one of those brake changes. I'm getting a very very hard shutter when brakes are applied and only applied. It bounces the entire truck and i mean bounces. This is extremely dangerous not only for me but my wife when she does drive it. It seems to only do it above 40 when the brakes are applied. below that i don't feel it at all. Change the back 2 times all new...same for the front. Then I disassembled the front and made sure I lubed everything real good thinking something was not sliding smoothly. Well that seemed to work or at least I thought.. But since then I hadn't been driving it very much only a test drive and every once in a while. Now that I am driving it on a regular basis..well it's back. I'm curious is this truck suppose to have anti-lock brakes? because man it sure locks up when I hit them. Now coming home from work yesterday something happened.. Not soo sure what because I haven't got into it yet. I will this morning. But it seems like something gave/broke..I will post later to let you know...but I have always wondered if this truck is suppose to have anti-lock Brakes. Is there a special part maybe I forgot to put on..I don't think I did but anything is possible. Any possible problems you experts might offer or suggest or know of anything??? This has had me stumped for years. Any pictures would be appreciated. HELP!!!!

Old 04-27-2013, 10:30 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

pictures -
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...-pictures.html

yes, your 2000 has rear antilock brakes as standard equipment, with front ABS as an option. i'd think you could remove a fuse or relay to temporarily disable them to see if it helps your problem or not.

if it does, rear ABS is controlled by a sensor in the top of the rear diff. its a magnet over the tone ring and not expensive.

for front brakes, check for warped or damaged rotors. they can wobble, shudder, jerk the steering wheel pretty bad.

go back to the beginning of the problem. did it occur immediately after a brake change. which end - front, rear, or both?

Last edited by dhvaughan; 04-27-2013 at 10:33 AM.
Old 04-27-2013, 10:42 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,164 Likes on 2,918 Posts

Warped rotors or drums will give you a vibration when the brakes are applied. If you feel it thru the pedal as well as shaking the truck, there is your problem.

Old 04-27-2013, 10:46 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

no offense, but this should be fairly straightforward to diagnose and fix.

do the ABS disable test first.

if you're not sure of the problem being in the front or rear, see if you can adjust your rear brake shoes very very loose so they do little to nothing. see if it changes the behavior.

what all parts are new vs not?
front rotors
front calipers
front hoses
front pads
front hardware - slide bolts, clips.
rear cylinders
rear shoes,
rear drums
rear hardware
rear abs sensor
front abs sensors (optional)
abs light on? its got pretty good diagnostics....

i think that the whole kit and kaboodle.

Old 04-27-2013, 11:08 AM
GRed
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I appreciate the responses.. And I agree it should be straight forward...but this has been a pain and very dangerous. I had new rotors new pads everything new..the shudder is soo bad you can see the bouncing of the truck. This isn't your normal vibration this thing really shudders/bouncing bad until it gets below 40. The abs test is something I will definitely try. I'm not getting any lights on.
New front calibers, pads rotors, as far as the back I'm trying to remember if they are new I think they are as well as the shoes. I'm about to get into it within the next hour.

Old 04-27-2013, 11:16 AM
merc225hp
Champion

This reads all to familiar to me. Just my op here I don't think you will find it in the brakes, my op is that it's a tranny problem IE not downshifting right, it won't match trany gear to speed of the wheels under med to hard braking, almost like a hyld lock. I had a truck here that was doing the same thing he gave up and traded it in before I could find out what was going on, like you all brakes where new twice all the way around the truck. This happens to some just before the t case busts in half.

Edit; Try the abs trick odds are it won't do a thing.

Last edited by merc225hp; 04-27-2013 at 11:19 AM.
Old 04-27-2013, 11:26 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,164 Likes on 2,918 Posts

Does your speedo work the way it is supposed to? Same size tires front and back? 2 or 4 wheel ABS?

Old 04-27-2013, 12:24 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

to test for lack of transmission downshift - would a valid test be to shift to transmission neutral before applying brakes ?

if problem is eliminated - then yes.
if problem continues - then no.

Old 04-27-2013, 12:54 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
to test for lack of transmission downshift - would a valid test be to shift to transmission neutral before applying brakes ?

Sounds like a plan to me.

Old 04-27-2013, 01:02 PM
merc225hp
Champion

Originally Posted by dhvaughan

+2 I forgot to add that test to my post, Thank you for adding it.

Last edited by merc225hp; 04-27-2013 at 01:10 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brake dilemma