2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Thermostat replace, whats the cleanest way...

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 09:19 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by chromed95
you say a smidgen of rtv to both sides, are you talking around the holes for the housing bolts on both sides?
clean both surfaces and dry them thoroughly. i like to wipe it with brake cleaner which evaporates quickly.

apply a very thin coat of rtv to both sides of the gasket. not a BEAD (which will squish out and get all over everything), just a thin smear over the entire gasket, including around the bolt holes.

also - since the bolts penetrate into the water jacket, it can possibly leak around the threads. so cover the threads in rtv too.

Old 05-01-2013, 12:20 AM
chromed95
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
why bother. nobody searches and the search function sucks.

the best search is a google search. example:
site:dodgeforum.com your keywords here
Hey I tried using the search function for this, just nothing i found related directly I actually use the search function quite often now

clean both surfaces and dry them thoroughly. i like to wipe it with brake cleaner which evaporates quickly.

apply a very thin coat of rtv to both sides of the gasket. not a BEAD (which will squish out and get all over everything), just a thin smear over the entire gasket, including around the bolt holes.

also - since the bolts penetrate into the water jacket, it can possibly leak around the threads. so cover the threads in rtv too.
thanks dhvaughan. both sides, that makes sense to me now, duh. sometimes I am a bit slow. I did that to my timing cover and water pump gaskets when I put them back on.

Old 05-01-2013, 04:20 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

why bother. nobody searches and the search function sucks.

the best search is a google search. example:
site:dodgeforum.com your keywords here
Because not many , but a few do actually search. That's why 3 year old threads pop up once in a while. Those people get props from me when they do. Beside's that, most people will do a google search before even knowing about DF. And if the titles are good/related to a problem, guess what site they will be led too.

Quick Reply: Thermostat replace, whats the cleanest way...