2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Dodge dealer says my timing is off a tooth?

Old 05-03-2013, 02:16 PM
benmannej1
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dodge dealer says my timing is off a tooth?

98 1500, 5.9
Idling rough, very sluggish, wont rev past 3k rpm
So, I had done everything to try and fix my problem. And everything that was suggested on here. Nothing worked, so I finally took it to the local dodge dealership

$200 of diag time later... they told me nothing I didn't already know. They said the dizzy cap and the wires are bad, and they want to check the timing gears to see if they are right.
My question is, will it even run if its a tooth or 2 off? I feel like you would start with replacing the dizzy cap and wires. Not to mention im positive that the gears are lined up correctly

Old 05-03-2013, 02:22 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It might run, simply because Magnums are so stubborn. But to be honest, considering the PCM reads the fuel sync off the disty and cam....I can't see why it would run at all, even poorly. But I may be wrong here.

Also, you must have had a REALLY bad timing chain for it to jump a tooth. Even the crap OEM units last a long time, they just make a lot of noise because of the slop.

Old 05-03-2013, 02:25 PM
benmannej1
Rookie

Originally Posted by dodge dude94
It might run, simply because Magnums are so stubborn. But to be honest, considering the PCM reads the fuel sync off the disty and cam....I can't see why it would run at all, even poorly. But I may be wrong here.

Also, you must have had a REALLY bad timing chain for it to jump a tooth. Even the crap OEM units last a long time, they just make a lot of noise because of the slop.
Well it was replaced by me and a friend, that's also the reason why im almost positive it couldn't be off.
I have been driving it around like this, it will still somewhat keep up with traffic and get up to 50 mph. I feel like it would not run well enough to even get anywhere.
Also, I put a scan tool on it, and everything, literally all specs are good. And the dealership confirmed that

Old 05-03-2013, 02:47 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

Originally Posted by benmannej1
Well it was replaced by me and a friend, that's also the reason why im almost positive it couldn't be off.
I have been driving it around like this, it will still somewhat keep up with traffic and get up to 50 mph. I feel like it would not run well enough to even get anywhere.
Also, I put a scan tool on it, and everything, literally all specs are good. And the dealership confirmed that
I seem to remember your post regarding that issue a while back.

Remind me: you did replace your cat, 02 sensor and fix your plenum, right?

Please don't be offended, I'm asking because I've forgotten and they're common issues. lol

Old 05-03-2013, 03:00 PM
benmannej1
Rookie

I seem to remember your post regarding that issue a while back.

Remind me: you did replace your cat, 02 sensor and fix your plenum, right?

Please don't be offended, I'm asking because I've forgotten and they're common issues. lol
Cat and plenum yes, 02 no, but the 02s would not cause it to run this poor obviously.
And it does have a mopar double roller chain set up on it

Old 05-03-2013, 03:02 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

Cat and plenum yes, 02 no, but the 02s would not cause it to run this poor obviously.
And it does have a mopar double roller chain set up on it
You would be surprised what a bad 02 would do. But I also agree that it would likely not cause it to misbehave this badly.

How does it act when cold?

Old 05-03-2013, 03:11 PM
benmannej1
Rookie

You would be surprised what a bad 02 would do. But I also agree that it would likely not cause it to misbehave this badly.

How does it act when cold?
The same pretty much

Old 05-03-2013, 03:27 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

The same pretty much
Well, there goes that thought.

Fuel sync may be out of whack. Either that, or the timing set was installed correctly. Because a brand new Mopar timing set isn't going to jump a tooth. lol

Old 05-03-2013, 03:32 PM
benmannej1
Rookie

Well, there goes that thought.

Fuel sync may be out of whack. Either that, or the timing set was installed correctly. Because a brand new Mopar timing set isn't going to jump a tooth. lol
Fuel sync is good, I checked that too.
I just don't believe the timing set is out, I mean I lined up the notches with a straight edge haha

Old 05-03-2013, 03:33 PM
benmannej1
Rookie

basically what I want to know, can it even run well enough to drive if it was off by a tooth?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dodge dealer says my timing is off a tooth?