2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-07-2015, 01:50 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine Diagnostics
Print Wikipost

Loss of Power/ Hesitation/ Backfire

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 10:55 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you just completely removed the O2 sensors from your truck..... Well that's your problem

Old 05-08-2013, 11:34 PM
Brewer97
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I removed them a while back, i replaced them and now both are in working order. Please, if you're going to comment make it constructive.

Old 05-08-2013, 11:48 PM
Matt Nickerson
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Brewer97
My canister is bad, would that cause anything like this?
Did you completely ignore my posts?!?! ANSWER: NO!

A step in the right direction would be checking your plenum.
It's very unlikely that the MAP sensor is your problem, however checking the specs on it wont do any harm. And I doubt your trucks imaginary MAF sensor is the problem...

Hissing, aka vacuum leak, will also cause running/driveability problems. Check all the vacuum lines coming off the intake, they should be in great condition and be connected to something on both ends. If your missing the gasket between the air hat and the throttle body, it'll also hiss. I would guess since you remove the air hat to look down the TB, you didn't put the gasket back on.

Old 05-08-2013, 11:50 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, my comment is pretty constructive considering you didn't say you replaced them.
You never made any mention of putting them back in, so of course I'll go ape.
It doesn't help that I'm tired too....

Old 05-09-2013, 01:20 PM
jgcox6
Rookie

Pull the pre-O2 sensor leave it out and run it and see if it doesn't get better temporarily of course. I had the exact same symptoms and turns out it was the cat bad...could be you have a host of issues...plenum so bad that it has alread dirtied the new cat???? worth a try

Old 05-09-2013, 01:44 PM
gertie240
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would get another TB gasket and a can of cleaner, pull the TB, give it a good cleaning and look down the keg when you got it off to see for oil pooling.

What do you guys think about using a cell phone charger to check a crank sensor on the bench?

Old 05-18-2013, 07:56 PM
Brewer97

Originally Posted by Matt Nickerson
Done the plenum yet? https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...um-thread.html

As for the charcoal canister, how do you know "its done for?" It's part of the evap system and if the purge solenoid is having trouble purging the canister would bet there would be a code set, such as a p0441. You're gonna have to make sure everything in the evap system is working; components and vacuum lines.

Engines don't hold "vacuum pressure", and the canister wouldn't have anything to do with that anyway...not sure where you were going with that.

If your truck isn't getting ~49psi of fuel, it'll cause starting problems in addition to loss of power and hesitation etc. Get a gauge and test it.
I don't have a cat, I haven't checked plenum because I've never done one yet, both my o2s are replaced, brand new charcoal canister that got rid of my po441 code, but still backfires and runs like **** when engine isn't at operating temp. Friend suggests leaking intake gasket. Any suggestions ?

Quick Reply: Loss of Power/ Hesitation/ Backfire