2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

cold start problems/ rough idle

Old 05-11-2013, 06:31 PM
moparfanactic92
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanx for all the help. unfortunately events came up and mite be awhile before it get back to this dodge. my daily driver put one of its rods through the block, and the rest of my wallet it being dumped into getting another car...last time i go with a ford...but when i get back to my truck ill post what was done and if it helped.

Old 05-11-2013, 06:57 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by moparfanactic92
Ill give that a definite try. thanx. i did pull off the throttle body tho, and i should probly mention that my oil breather at one time puked up oil through the air filter. destroyed my filter and had to buy a new one, but the inside was black as coal and gunked in every nook and cranny possible. im still cleaning it, and when i get done ill give a shout.
Tell us a little more about this!

Has the plenum gasket been replaced? Is the plenum plate original?

This could be part of the miss. What do the plugs look like?

Thanx for all the help. unfortunately events came up and mite be awhile before it get back to this dodge. my daily driver put one of its rods through the block, and the rest of my wallet it being dumped into getting another car...last time i go with a ford...but when i get back to my truck ill post what was done and if it helped.

Oh, your Ram is NOT going to like sharing your wallet with another car!

Old 05-11-2013, 07:17 PM
moparfanactic92
Talking

Plugs had looked like crap, but i cleaned them up and it helped but not enough. the plenum gasket has been replaced, but the plate looks original. and i know my dodge wont like me spendin on another vehicle, but i cant take this thing out just yet, im waitin on the previous owner to send me the title to it. idk if anyone reading this lives in texas, but they are quite strict on vehicles, and i bought this out of state. Plus it mite enjoy the good company, im going back to my faithful dodges.

Old 05-11-2013, 07:45 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Plugs had looked like crap, but i cleaned them up and it helped but not enough. the plenum gasket has been replaced, but the plate looks original. and i know my dodge wont like me spendin on another vehicle, but i cant take this thing out just yet, im waitin on the previous owner to send me the title to it. idk if anyone reading this lives in texas, but they are quite strict on vehicles, and i bought this out of state. Plus it mite enjoy the good company, im going back to my faithful dodges.

Most likely.......

Old 05-18-2013, 10:34 AM
moparfanactic92

Update (finally). i have replaced the pcv valve and it helped a little. now if you take off the pcv hose it runs fine cold, no miss or nothing. it also finally threw a couple codes: random misfire, misfire on number 8 cylinder, and misfire on number 4 cylinder. correct me if im wrong, but arent those two cylinders beside each other in the firing order? possibly a burned

Old 05-18-2013, 10:35 AM
moparfanactic92

Update (finally). i have replaced the pcv valve and it helped a little. now if you take off the pcv hose it runs fine cold, no miss or nothing. it also finally threw a couple codes: random misfire, misfire on number 8 cylinder, and misfire on number 4 cylinder. correct me if im wrong, but arent those two cylinders beside each other in the firing order? possibly some burned nodes on the distributor cap?

Old 05-18-2013, 12:27 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,170 Likes on 2,923 Posts

Yep, 8 and 4 are right next to each other in the firing order. Check cap, and wires. May be a simple case of cross-fire.

Really need to get pcv valve from dealer, the aftermarket guys don't always (seldom) have the correct flow rate.

Old 05-19-2013, 02:15 PM
moparfanactic92

This pcv valve is direct from the factory. i dont go to parts stores unless its small crap. The wires look brand new all the way around, but the distributor is not something i have been able to check since it sits at the back of the motor covered by everything.

Old 05-20-2013, 07:15 PM
moparfanactic92

Well, i am humbled by this dodge. after replacing all that i have i finally pulled off the cap and rotor. the contacts were burned and pitted beyond recognition, the rotor's tip had so many aluminum shavings i still havnt gotten down to bare metal. replaced everything and it runs like a dream now. thanx all, its done now and if i ever need anything else ill surely use this forum again.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: cold start problems/ rough idle