2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Chugging lead to no start to rough ride. Plenum or worse?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 12:50 PM
Cali7312
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Chugging lead to no start to rough ride. Plenum or worse?

I drive a 2001 dodge ram 1500 ORE Sport

I have searched forums for a couple weeks now perodically regarding to my truck chugging and lurging and found some answers and tried some thing out. Last week I was running a EVAP vacuum leak same code as a lose gas cap but replaced it twice and still was running the code after I cleared it.

Here what happens: Start vehicle, idle runs all over the place, first 3minutes of driving I will lose power while skinny pedal is pushed in, then it will pop and chug and pop, then I let off the pedal and re apply and I gain power back, it will do this for 5-10min then never again until I restart my truck and drive later. Does it more when it's warm I've noticed.

Day 1: Sprayed all my hoses down with starter fluid to check for idle response for vacuum leak, nothing in result.

Day 2: Replaced my oil, spark plugs(except for 1 BC it's stuck, I need to heat it later) and wires, changed my cap(haven't done rotor), seafoamed, and ran injector cleaner, result. Nothing but my MPG went to 10 from 8.

Day 3: Read forums and decided to clean my TB and IAC. Blacker then hell, came out nice and shiney. , result on turn key, check engine light gone(figured it was from me disconnecting the battery) and the chugging stopped for about 3 days.

Day 6: Turn key, idles for 1-2seconds, dies. Turn key, rev, keep it alive, put it in drive, dies. Did this for 30minutes. Later I tried, nothing. So I checked my fuel pressure, it's perfect. I let the truck sit over night.

Day 7: Turn key, bam, starts like a beaut, CHECK ENGINE is back, idle is rough like day 1 with pops and chugs while driving for the first 5minutes. Checked all hoses again and no idle response. I heard a quite but distinct crackling sound coming from my cat, so I got under to check it out and right at the 02 after the cat it's a rocky/fast cracking sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPflV...ature=youtu.be

I'm in a stump, I have read the plenum thread numerous times, don't have the tools required right now to check my cat or plenum as my personal situation so my buddy is coming over later to run my codes, and check my plenum, he believes it's an 02, but that doesn't help my no start issue I had.

Just trying to look for other ideas to try or investigate. Also my AVG MPG has been stumbling from 7-13 through my past two weeks.

Thanks all, i'm happy to be here on DF.

Last edited by Cali7312; 11-11-2012 at 01:05 PM.
Old 11-11-2012, 02:22 PM
Matt Nickerson
Record Breaker

Sounds like a blown plenum, clogged cat, and bad o2 sensors to me. The iac may also be bad, although there's really no way to tell other than to replace it (after fixing te plenum).

Old 11-11-2012, 03:08 PM
Cali7312
Rookie

Originally Posted by Matt Nickerson
Sounds like a blown plenum, clogged cat, and bad o2 sensors to me.
I will be checking the plenum as the sticky shows tonight, and also the cat when I get a pressure gauge or maybe rent one. The 02 sensors should be running a code though correct?

Old 11-11-2012, 05:14 PM
Matt Nickerson
Record Breaker

O2s can be bad without setting a code, that's what happened with mine. A blown plenum ruins the cat and the o2...and eventually the heads. You don't necessarily need a pressure tester for the cat, if the plenum is blown then its time to replace the cat and o2s.

Old 11-11-2012, 07:57 PM
Cali7312
Rookie

Okay I will return response once plenum is checked. Does this regard ALL 02s?

Old 11-11-2012, 08:11 PM
Matt Nickerson
Record Breaker

The upstream(aka precat) o2 is most important. Replacing both is recommended though. And the only brand you should replace them with is NTK/NGK brand. Rockauto sells them pretty cheap.

Old 11-11-2012, 08:55 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Denso O2 sensors are good to use.

Pull the upstream O2 out and let it hang. Crank it up and see if it runs better. If so, your cat is clogged.

Old 11-11-2012, 10:03 PM
Cali7312
Rookie

Originally Posted by gdstock
Crank it up and see if it runs better. If so, your cat is clogged.
I will check in the daylight tomorrow, thanks!

Well my friend just left and turns out my check engine is running the code P0455. Same code I have been running since I bought the truck not too long ago. EVAP (Large) Leak.
He's going to see if he can take my truck into his school tomorrow to run a smoke test for me, if not I am going to start hand tracing.

Cleared the code, reset, and restarted the truck and filled it up and took it for a test drive and no CEL. Also ran fine and has been since he cleared it, however, last week same result when I cleared it, it came back after 3 days and started to chug and pop again with a rough idle at start up.

Excited to check the 02/Cat out tomorrow.

Old 11-11-2012, 10:12 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Couple other things in addition to what has been suggested.

When you did your wires on Day 2 did you follow the wire routing TSB? If not, double check and do it just to rule out the bad juju.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...lug-wires.html

2nd, when you replaced the plugs on Day 2 how was the condition of the rear ones? Especially cylinder 8 (back of engine, passenger side). If it showed fouling, oily, etc. then that is more of supporting condition to clogged cat.

Good luck

Old 11-11-2012, 10:15 PM
Cali7312
Rookie

Wh1t3Nukle, I did the old fasion way, just replace one at a time so I didn't lose spot. I will also double check that tomorrow.

Cyln. #8 is the one that's stuck and have to heat up to get out to change.

Quick Reply: Chugging lead to no start to rough ride. Plenum or worse?