2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2000 5.9 4x4 Crazy Shift Issue

Old 05-11-2013, 12:33 AM
DaveBeth
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 5.9 4x4 Crazy Shift Issue

I used to work at a small time garage and when people would come in with problems like this we would usually laugh behind their backs but I know its not in my mind ....lol.

Starting about 9 months ago, one day the truck hangs up in first and wont shift out till abnormal RPMS......I'm headed home and I pull into a gas station, noticing I may be too low on gas to get there. Fill up, panicking about my tranny going start to head home....No Shift problems. Thinking I "Dodged" a bullet.

2 or 3 weeks go by, Shift problem happens again....I'm bummed, trying to rev it high to shift, looking a the gas I notice its, low? Could it be coincidence....Fill up....Fixed. 3-4 more times this happens...Baffled but I use my truck a lot for work so I don't have it checked. Just keep the gas filled up.....

Couple weeks later it returns but not just when low on gas now....Finally throws a code, Get it scanned, speed sensor. So I replace it. Runs fine for a week or two.....Starts missing second sometimes. Another Code, Gets worse and worse, So I take it to local Goodyear, They say it needs a $3000 rebuilt Tranny.

Just doesn't feel that way to me. For a long time it would run fine for a week. Or a day, then mess up here and there. Now, I run it in low, manually torque it up and shift, it to drive. Gets me by, but lately it seems like less and less power, Can hardly pull a trailer up a slight incline.

On another but maybe related note, seemed like either a high pitched rattle or possible ping from the engine under heavy stress for the past couple years, but If I ran High Octane it would go away, now no matter what it comes on at relatively low exertion now.

Old 05-11-2013, 06:52 AM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Your second problem is probably due the plenum gasket failing. Check the sticky about it

Idk much about trannys so someone else will chime in with their opinion on that

Old 05-11-2013, 07:37 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

welcome to DF.

transmission shift problem is related to governor pressure sensor and solenoid. they get clogged up with clutch/band debris, sometimes when the transmission is about shot and sometimes when its not. it might be somehow more sensitive when there's also a speed sensor problem or low gas light or who knows what.

read through the MonteC transmission thread for a lot more info. it'll depress you. but - in general you have a couple of options before a rebuild, that may or may not work. drop the pan and replace or clean the gov press sensor and solenoid, and adjust the bands. sometimes that's a permanent fix, sometimes just a temp fix and waste of time and money - as the trans continues to erode away and re-clogs it. if you decide the trans is shot and you are anywhere within driving distance of Charleston SC, take a vacation there and go see Robert Griffin for a permanent fix. You have to go see him, he doesn't ship transmissions. PATC does but they're a hell of a lot more expensive.

pinging and power loss is probably plenum plate/gasket. there's about a million threads on that and every truck has that problem. get the ebay plate kit from a forum member to save a lot of money.

Last edited by dhvaughan; 05-11-2013 at 07:41 AM.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:01 PM
DaveBeth
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the tips. I've been researching and reading.......Maybe spend my money on a rebuilt, but $3000 seams pretty high, but I have been out of the loop awhile.

Old 05-11-2013, 10:15 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

$3000 is extremely high. look for about 1/2 that for a standard rebuilt kit, installed and out the door. more fancy parts can run the price up but it should still top out at about $2000-2200 (installed).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2000 5.9 4x4 Crazy Shift Issue