2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

question on rings

Old 05-14-2013, 05:03 AM
t's dodge
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question on rings

okay 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 5.2 I took the heads off. took them to a machine shop and they check out fine. so I pulled the Pistons and the Rings are shot I thought about just getting new pistons and new rings and of course everything associated with that and having the block honed by the machine shop does that sound like a good idea or should I just save my money and do something else? the original problem was cylinder number 1 and number 3 had about 45psi compression the rest of the cylinders check out at about 150psiI was getting gas in the oil and a really crappy idle i was missing on those two cylinders if I disconnected those two injectors the truck would actually hold Idle if I left them pluged in the truck would die and was only able 2 crank at Wot.

Old 05-14-2013, 06:21 AM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You could find a Junk yard motor if you don't wanna rebuild it

If you rebuild it right it'll last a lllooooonnnnggggg time

Old 05-14-2013, 06:35 AM
t's dodge
Rookie

I do want to rebuild it funds are just really tight right now and I really need my truck I thought about a junkyard engine all I could find were im at is 100,000 mile motors for 650 and up I can do what im talking about for less than half that my question is would it work?

Old 05-14-2013, 11:37 AM
Wildman4x4nut
Record Breaker
Received 149 Likes on 114 Posts

T's,
Your going to want to have your heads checked for any cracked. I didn't even bother with having mine checked I just bought some aftermarket heads and went with the larger valves while I was at it. I wouldn't go for the 2.20 valves on a 5.2 as they are just too much for a stock engine.

If you can swing it do a poor man's rebuild. Replace only the parts that NEED to be replaced. Is can be done for pretty cheap if your able to use all standard size bearings and stuff. That is how my engine rebuild started but I have gone past that now.

Old 05-14-2013, 01:41 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,168 Likes on 2,922 Posts

Check the bores, if bores are still within spec, put on new rings, and call it a day. (or, toss in bearings as well.... )

Old 05-14-2013, 05:34 PM
t's dodge
Rookie

Ok I went to auto parts warehouse and got new rings pistons and bearings. I am going to have the machine shop rebuild the heads they called and everything checked out ok. got the ebay planum plate ordered and all new gaskets and oil pump while im in there. already has a new timing chain less than1000 miles. I just feel like im missing something. Thanks guys for the info I was afraid I couldnt do it this way

Old 05-14-2013, 10:16 PM
spun360
Rookie
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i would score the bores real good. at least to help seat the new rings.
what type did you go with? moly or cast rings?

Old 05-15-2013, 12:14 AM
t's dodge
Rookie

Moly rings and I will score the cylindes thanks for reminding me.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: question on rings