2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

46RE Issues accelerating from a stop

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 05:35 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm thinking the TC is PCM controlled, but when they fail they do so without input from the PCM.

That's if I remember and understand correctly.

Old 05-16-2013, 11:09 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

PCM does control TC lockup. Unplugged, you cannot get lockup.

Are you getting any codes?

May need to check spring in accumulator in VB. They are notorious for failure and causes loss in clamp pressure on clutch drum.

Download service manual in the FAQ/DIY section and tread through transmission troubleshooting to see if anything jumps out at you. Been too long since I have read through it to remember what else to suggest.

Old 05-17-2013, 03:40 PM
BreakerBar
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, no codes unfortunately. The accumulator spring (largish spring inside a piston under a cover on the valve body) was broken, and replaced with an included spring in the shift kit.

Drove to Houston and back this morning and it didn't seem to be starting from 2nd gear anymore. I didn't have near the trouble getting the truck rolling from a stop. Still babying it though.

Old 05-17-2013, 09:50 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Cool.

If the T/C grenades, or goes bad in any fashion, all the crap that generates flows thru the trans. Just replacing the T/C would only buy you a little time, and you would again have to replace the T/C when the trans blows..... it is impossible to clean them out without cutting them in half....

Quick Reply: 46RE Issues accelerating from a stop