2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Need Help With Full Tune Up!

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 05:07 PM
ChillyPhil
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AtomicDog
What you are describing is fairly major maintenance. Since you are planning to swap the timing chain set, might want to look into adding a timing chain tensioner (MOPAR Performance part# P5007709). In addition, take a good look at your water pump to ensure it's in good shape and not leaking out of the weep hole. Since the front cover is coming off, great time to check the water pump closely.
Yeah i just want to do everything at one time so i know when it was all done. But i been told i should get a tensioner. I'll probably end up getting one off mopartsracing's website since their only $32.

So is there anything else i should look at and or get while I'm doing this?

Old 05-26-2013, 05:51 PM
Johnn123
Record Breaker

I just bought the kit from Hughes, it comes with everything in one package. When you get it all tuned up prepare to feel like your in a new truck

Old 05-26-2013, 08:04 PM
ChillyPhil
All Star

Originally Posted by Johnn123
I just bought the kit from Hughes, it comes with everything in one package. When you get it all tuned up prepare to feel like your in a new truck
This is what I'm hoping! My truck is really slow and sluggish now even with the tuner hooked up!

I think I'm going to put that money for an o2 senser in for a new high flow cat here in June. I might as well just get a whole new exhaust setup. Mine's kinda quiet, haha.

Old 05-26-2013, 08:33 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

don't forget to add distilled water to your list. you don't want to mix coolant with tap water. it will obviously work but it is what cause calcium build ups in the rad which can cause it to eventually clog up and not cool as good as a new rad. plus distilled water is usually cheap at the grocery store or pharmacy.

Old 05-26-2013, 10:37 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 298 Likes on 282 Posts

+1 on the distilled water. Also, check your radiator closely, too. When I swapped my motor a while back, I opted for an all-aluminum radiator that was a bolt-in replacement for my OEM radiator, which had an aluminum core, but has plastic tanks. Picked it up from www.alumorad.com

Old 05-26-2013, 10:57 PM
ChillyPhil
All Star

How does water cause calcium build up in the radiator?

You guys are bull*****en now.

Old 05-26-2013, 11:01 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

No, they're serious.
Even if you don't have hard water, over time calcium WILL build up in the rad. Hell, my 76 has calcium build up and we don't have hard water where I live.

Old 05-26-2013, 11:03 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

do you own a kettle? that white stuff that builds in a kettle is calcium. there is lots of minerals and stuff in tap water. distilled water has none of that stuff. Distilled water is water that has many of its impurities removed through distillation. Distillation involves boiling the water and then condensing the steam into a clean container

Old 05-27-2013, 08:59 AM
ChillyPhil
All Star

Oh sorry guys, that's a new one for me. I knew of calcium buildup, but I didn't know it could happen in the radiator.

But why am I mixing coolant with water when most coolant comes premixed?

Old 05-27-2013, 09:03 AM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

Because you'll need to spend more money on pre-mix coolant when you can just buy the good old green at most parts stores for like 10 bucks compared to about 15.
And a gallon of distilled water is about 1-2 at most grocery stores. So you're saving a little bit of cash, but you can use that for gas.

Quick Reply: Need Help With Full Tune Up!