2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Significant gas mileage drop since plenum fix... Why ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 09:01 AM
Arde
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Your setup sounds like mine. Whoever deleted my check valve cut it out and clamped the rubber hose to the hardline, I haven't had a problem in the 1 1/2 yrs. I've been driving it, no hose blowing off or anything. Doubt there's enough pressure in that line to be a problem.
I lightly rev mine in N after a cold start in the morning. Sometimes I don't have too and It'll go, but not far. Doesn't sound like you have a problem, just a slight inconvenience from the lack of a check valve. Adding an external filter will take care of it if you don't like the inconvenience. But do as Hey You says and pull the line and check it.

Last edited by Arde; 06-13-2013 at 09:58 AM.
Old 06-13-2013, 02:25 PM
Gaius
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I remember right, one of the mods in a shift kit allows lubrication in Park. You replace the manual valve and grind off a bit of the body itself.

MY TJ trans is real bad, never did a shift kit. Always have to shift to Rev to get any gear. But the 44RE in my Wagoneer doesn't seem to have thatn problem.

Old 06-13-2013, 03:21 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sonnax SureCure allows the torque converter to fill while in park.

Old 06-14-2013, 06:03 AM
candymancan
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Pull the hose. Have a look. No point in just guessing.

I can try that but i dont think ill be able to just see inside there.. But maybe i can grab a picture

Old 06-14-2013, 08:43 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

Take it completely out of the truck, (watch for spillage, there will be some.) Hold the hose up to a light, and look thru it.

Old 06-14-2013, 10:18 PM
candymancan
Veteran

I dont think I want to unscrew the metal cooling lines from the transmission.. Its been in there for 15 years and i really dont wanna have leaks or break something i've heard a lot of horror stories about these cooling lines.

Anyway... I wish i could figure out why im getting great mileage on the freeway, but horrible in the city.. The needle drops sooooo QUICKLY in the city it sucks... I dont get IT !! im deff not running rich i dont think.. the tail pipe is SOO clean now since my plenum fix i dunno if your familier with how BLACK and sooty the tailpipes get when your burning oil.. but man mine when you swiped your finger on the inside egde was thick and black like a oil burning furnace.. Now its like spotless after 1500 miles.... Soo frustrating.. Im thinking about taking my K&N FIPK off and see if the stock intake helps it some..

I think Im gonna try putting 89 octane in the tank as well.. Since my pinging seems to be gone now.. The Jeep 5.9 engines like i mentioned required 91 and 92 octane (for the Performance mopar PCM) its different then you dodge guys who can use 87.. I wonder if i can get away with 89 now.. Altho 89 is lower then 91 it might ping ill run it near empty fill it up little over quart of a tank and see if not ill put 93 back in. I remember when i was burning oil and i put 89 in... Omg between it burning oil and pinging and the lower octane then what was recomended.. it pinged like a **** scared me actually haha

I plan to get new O2 sensor tomorrow as well.. I just hope i can get the old one off without hassles lol.. So NGK are good O2 sensors ? No like check engine bull**** 20 miles later ?

Last edited by candymancan; 06-14-2013 at 10:22 PM.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:36 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

i had to use a pipe wrench to get my o2 sensor out of my 93. you would want a ntk brand one

Old 06-15-2013, 09:52 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

Should just be a quick connect to the radiator, and a flare nut to the line. Chemicals are your friend. My truck had about 170K on it when I did mine. Came apart no problem.

Old 06-17-2013, 11:04 AM
candymancan
Veteran

Im talking about removing the line from the bellhousing.. Im not doing that.. If your talkin about removing the rubber line and looking inside the end with the check valve then yea i can do that.

Anyway do you guys know what the part number is for the NTK o2 sensor ? They had a bunch of diff ones, and $55 seems like a lot to me am i wrong ? I need the upstream one right ?

Old 06-17-2013, 11:25 AM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

23506 $30.26 plus shipping from rockauto but you can save 5% if you use a discount code.

Quick Reply: Significant gas mileage drop since plenum fix... Why ?