2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Significant gas mileage drop since plenum fix... Why ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 07:49 PM
candymancan
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im in northern Virginia.. Prince William County.

Old 06-25-2013, 07:56 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Too close to DC I'd bet.

Old 06-25-2013, 08:57 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by candymancan
Im in northern Virginia.. Prince William County.
Yup, I'm sure you've got strict emissions to deal with...

Old 06-26-2013, 02:07 AM
candymancan
Veteran

Originally Posted by stewie01
Yup, I'm sure you've got strict emissions to deal with...

Yea they are **** as hell here.. My mom had a check engine light on her 98 Grand cherokee 4.0 for the speed sensor on the back of the transmission overdrive unit.... They failed her (this was prior to me really learning how to fix cars).. That check engine light was on for like... 11 years.. she ignored it lol until I started learning how to fix cars and she failed the test thanks to new stricter emission laws.. but that's ok I replaced the sensor and no more check engine light.

Its amazes me too, because we have a ton of annoying civic and other crappy import ricer cars here with 5 inch exhaust pipes that sound like my trimmer for my landscaping business.. They all smell like gasoline when you drive behind them like an old 1950's car would.. Yet they pass emissions lol ?? Pfft.

You know the funny thing is, when my emissions were up after 2 years when I had it done well 2 years ago.. I went to a shop to get a new one done because my stickers were almost expired. Turns out my mom put new ones on.. The county had mailed me and her 4.0 new stickers for another 2 years without needing to be tested... so 4 years if I add the new ones I wont be needing an emission test.. Im not sure why they mailed us that..

I wonder if I could gut the cat... Wouldn't that cause a check engine light tho and hurt my gas mileage.. and also be absolutetly loud as crap ? Btw guys 9 pages long I really appritiate you all helping me.. This is why I come to this forum for my 98 Jeep grand Cherokee. It isn't a dodge bu the 5.9 engine is the same and you all know so much about it vs Jeep people

Last edited by candymancan; 06-26-2013 at 02:13 AM.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:32 AM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

Gutting the cat usually just makes the exhaust smell bad. Most trucks don't flip the CEL, but since yours is a Jeep it might anyway.

Old 06-26-2013, 06:01 PM
candymancan
Veteran

Originally Posted by dodge dude94
Gutting the cat usually just makes the exhaust smell bad. Most trucks don't flip the CEL, but since yours is a Jeep it might anyway.

I wonder if that's why all those ricers in there civics with the big exhaust pipes smell so bad

Old 06-26-2013, 06:21 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

Originally Posted by candymancan
I wonder if that's why all those ricers in there civics with the big exhaust pipes smell so bad
Usually. But they also shouldn't be able to pass smog.

Quick Reply: Significant gas mileage drop since plenum fix... Why ?