2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Pinging under load/ aftermarket intakes manifolds

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 09:46 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I dont know if there is an intake with better low end that the kegger. That is ALL it has. The M1 is great, and with the right complimentary mods you will improve the low end and gain massively in the upper range.

On a stock engine though, you will lose a little low end

Old 06-13-2013, 11:01 PM
Adobedude
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ham Bone
I dont know if there is an intake with better low end that the kegger. That is ALL it has. The M1 is great, and with the right complimentary mods you will improve the low end and gain massively in the upper range.

On a stock engine though, you will lose a little low end
It moves the power band up...I'm building my Ram for torque so I'm staying with the stock manifold.

On my Dakota I've gone from a 2bbl M1 to a 4bbl M1 and now I have an Indy 360M intake all in the quest for more top end speed, but my converter has increased as well...4000K now

Want the power to come on right away with a stock converter...Stay with a stock manifold. It's pretty hard to have a manifold discussion only...It's a sum of all parts.

Old 06-14-2013, 08:56 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Originally Posted by Adobedude
It moves the power band up...I'm building my Ram for torque so I'm staying with the stock manifold.

On my Dakota I've gone from a 2bbl M1 to a 4bbl M1 and now I have an Indy 360M intake all in the quest for more top end speed, but my converter has increased as well...4000K now

Want the power to come on right away with a stock converter...Stay with a stock manifold. It's pretty hard to have a manifold discussion only...It's a sum of all parts.
^^ This.

Kegger is better for bottom end due to runner length. Those long runners promote air flow at lower RPM. Of course, they also choke it off at higher RPM.

The M1 manifold is a single plane, short runner manifold. Designed more for mid-range, to high rpm. The two barrel flavor will give somewhat better response on a truck motor due to the SMALLER plenum area. (velocity over volume) Basically, with a two barrel throttle body on there, it fools the engine into thinking the runners are longer than they really are.

An M1, (2bbl) with proper supporting mods will actually give you MORE bottom end, then the kegger..... These motors in stock form are seriously under powered.

Old 06-14-2013, 10:59 AM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
^^ This.

Kegger is better for bottom end due to runner length. Those long runners promote air flow at lower RPM. Of course, they also choke it off at higher RPM.

The M1 manifold is a single plane, short runner manifold. Designed more for mid-range, to high rpm. The two barrel flavor will give somewhat better response on a truck motor due to the SMALLER plenum area. (velocity over volume) Basically, with a two barrel throttle body on there, it fools the engine into thinking the runners are longer than they really are.

An M1, (2bbl) with proper supporting mods will actually give you MORE bottom end, then the kegger..... These motors in stock form are seriously under powered.
^^^^ +1 on this statement.

Old 06-14-2013, 05:28 PM
Caseyjordanmurry
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess I will be repairing the stock intake if there is not benefit to replacing it. Is the hughes intake repair kit the way to go? also since I will be saving money by not buying a new intake I want to put it into an electric fan and spectre intake system. Has anyone been able to increase their mileage by doing this? Even if I picked up 1 mpg it would help quite a bit.

Old 06-14-2013, 06:04 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't buy Hughes, Mr. Hughes is a jerk and over prices his stuff.

Go on eBay and buy the plenum plate made by bwdakrt. He's a member here on DF and makes a very nice plate for $54. I have one myself and it works great.

Old 06-15-2013, 06:48 PM
Caseyjordanmurry

I cant find the bwdakrt plate. I did however find a plate sold by trisa34 that $54. is this his new account?

Old 06-20-2013, 10:53 PM
Caseyjordanmurry

checked to see if the plenum gasket blow tonight. Burnt oil on throttle blades, burnt oil on throats, and film of oil on intake floor. Yall have talked about the m1 intakes but what about the hughes intake?

Old 06-21-2013, 12:10 AM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

Originally Posted by Caseyjordanmurry
I cant find the bwdakrt plate. I did however find a plate sold by trisa34 that $54. is this his new account?
Trisa34 is his wife. She's running the selling operation.

Old 06-21-2013, 08:20 AM
CSDavies26
Veteran

Originally Posted by Caseyjordanmurry
checked to see if the plenum gasket blow tonight. Burnt oil on throttle blades, burnt oil on throats, and film of oil on intake floor. Yall have talked about the m1 intakes but what about the hughes intake?
The members here who are running the hughes arent as active as those with the m1...as far as I know, it takes a bit more work to install it and the fitment isnt always 100% perfect...but those who have it seem to like it. hughes does provide a link to a pretty good step by step install procedure from some guy with a durango. i still can't make up my mind as to which i want, i go back and forth daily between the two.

Quick Reply: Pinging under load/ aftermarket intakes manifolds