2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Front End Clunk?

Old 06-12-2013, 02:12 PM
xcentrik05
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front End Clunk?

So, last month I replaced the ball joints, outer tie rod ends, and brakes on both sides of the truck and got it aligned. Recently (past week), I've heard this loud clunk from the front.

When I hear it?
Shortly after pulling out of the drive way to head to work.
Shortly after leaving the parking lot and heading home.

The noise doesn't occur any other time during my drive to and from work. I've noticed it generally happens when I'm coasting or braking. I'm afraid to say this (cause i know it will cost me $$) but it sounds like it's the axle. I've checked fluid levels are fine in trans and diff.

Hopefully, you guys have good news and tell me it's probably nothing

Old 06-12-2013, 03:36 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,170 Likes on 2,923 Posts

Have a look at the bushings on the ends of the control arms, and the axle end of the track bar.

Make sure that the caliper bolts are still there, and tight.

Did you use any variety of anti-squeal on the front pads? (you may just be hearing a pad shifting....)

Old 06-12-2013, 09:32 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

you have an off-road. i'm jealous.

possibly track bar. very common problem. if so, get the moog from rockauto for a lot cheaper than anyone else.

Old 06-18-2013, 08:37 AM
xcentrik05

Sorry It's taken so long to reply. Haven't had time to tinker. Can you explain what I'm looking for on the trackbar on the axle end? The boot end is pretty shot.

Checked the control arm bushing. They look OK
Checked brake caliper bolts. there still there and on tight
I didn't use any kind of anti squeal. Bad thing?

Old 06-18-2013, 10:01 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,170 Likes on 2,923 Posts

Sloppy bushing. Since the frame end is shot, it's time to replace it anyway.

Old 06-18-2013, 11:20 AM
xcentrik05

Ok, I'll probably pick up the Moog from RockAuto. Do you think this will fix the problem though? I can't really tell, but the bushing looks fine. I grabbed the bar and tried to see if i could shift it and didn't budge

Last edited by xcentrik05; 06-18-2013 at 12:20 PM.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:26 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

With the engine off and front wheels on ground, have some one turn the steering wheel a few inches left to right and check for movement at the joint. Check the rest of them while you are under it.

Old 06-19-2013, 09:23 AM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by zman17
With the engine off and front wheels on ground, have some one turn the steering wheel a few inches left to right and check for movement at the joint. Check the rest of them while you are under it.
+1

Also, have that partner there when you got reproduce the clunk. Find out where it's coming from first rather than guess on the parts.

Did you check your lug nuts? and every other nut you messed with doing the maintenance work.

Old 06-19-2013, 01:55 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Since it was just aligned, I hope they would have noticed a bad trac bar. You should check the lower front shock bolts and the bushing on the end of the steering column under the brake booster. You also might want to remove the front drive shaft and see if the clunk goes away.

http://rocksolidramtrucksteering.com/

Old 06-19-2013, 11:36 PM
beeker
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I fixed my front end clunk today after more than five years of clunking! :-)

Ever since I owned my truck every time I step on the brake, or accelerate from braking, or a simple bump in the road I got a clunk that could be felt in the steering wheel. I thought it was a steering/suspension component. Replaced my trackbar and steering gear due to failure, neither fixed the clunk. My next best guess thanks to reading about it on this forum was the steering column.

Yesterday and today I finally installed my 'Rock Solid' Steering Fix and the clunk is gone! It's very different driving without it, keep expecting a clunk every time I brake but there's nothing! Our trucks have a faulty design in the steering column, if it's not clunking it will be soon.

The problem lies under the brake booster at the firewall where the intermediate steering shaft is supported by a plastic ring inside a metal cup, the metal cup is slightly loose inside the metal tube and that's where the clunk occurs, it happens due to to the plastic ring wearing out, or like mine just the metal cup being loose inside the larger one.

Before the fix I tried shaking the shaft where it enters the firewall and it wasn't loose and there was nothing to indicate that it was the problem, but it was the problem.

It was only $60, took me an hour and a half yesterday to install, but it was too tight, supposed to sand down the inside diameter so it's nice and loose with no play. I finished today after another hour.

http://rocksolidramtrucksteering.com/

So happy to have my clunk gone!

Last edited by beeker; 06-20-2013 at 12:25 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Front End Clunk?