2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Max RPM's 1200

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 06:31 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i was thinking his ebay deal was not bad, and had a better than average warranty (assuming they would actually honor it).

the difference in price between the ebay place and your local shop is the removal and reinstall. its a big job, at least 5-6 hours ($500-600) for someone that knows what they're doing and has a lift and the proper tools. i think it'd be a real bitch to swap it with nothing but jack stands and laying on the ground.

i do know that if i had to do all the labor - i'd want to be damn sure that the transmission was likely to be good, because i'd sure hate to go through all that work and then have it not work right and have to pull the sob back out.

Old 07-24-2013, 12:13 PM
Beau
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The transmission is removed. The prices were with me dropping off the transmission off at their shop. I would think with me dropping off the transmission at the shop that $500 to $900 would be a fair price. The Trans did not have a major failure, still shifted without slipping. I had a knock in the area of the bellhousing. I was just looking for someone to go through the Trans looking for any problem and maybe replace any wear items. I still think that my problem is the torque converter but it would be foolish to go through all this work and maybe have a problem in the Trans.

Old 07-24-2013, 09:26 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

take a look at MonteC's transmission thread for a parts list. He recommended Sure-Cure replacement parts, the Precision New Hampton RV stall torque converter, and i think? Borg Warner frictions. He thought highly of those and little of the others and used them because they didn't create warranty problems for him.

Old 07-24-2013, 09:27 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

$1600-2400 to rebuild with you doing the remove/install AND not including a new torque converter. jesus, they're greedy.

Old 07-29-2013, 09:58 PM
Beau
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Placed order for trans today. They will start building it tomorrow. Should be shipped in three days. I will report back what I think after it is in and on the road. Thanks again for all the help.

Quick Reply: Max RPM's 1200