2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Pittman PS arm seal leaking

Old 07-07-2013, 10:26 PM
missionwolf
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pittman PS arm seal leaking

Hello,

I am new to the thread and am seeking some guidance as to the feasibility of doing a DIY job of fixing a leaking PS seal on my Pittman arm. It is a 1997 Ram Laramie SLT pickup. I was quoted $500 for the repair. This seems steep, as the part does not at first glance seem to be a $300 part (assuming another $200 for labor). So, I have several questions: 1) Is the seal something that can be purchased separately and replaced or is it a special part that is incorporated into the arm (if so, what is the cost of an arm?)? 2) Does this part incorporate a hydraulic mechanism that leads to a high pressure environment while performing the repair? and 3) Does this job require the use of any specialized tools? Basically, I am wondering if I can reasonably expect to be able to do this myself and save $200 to $300. I appreciate your replies and guidance. Thanks,

Andrew

Old 07-07-2013, 10:55 PM
Matt Nickerson
Record Breaker

The seal kit is like $9.. but others report that it will eventually begin to leak again at that seal after the fix. Only way to permanently fix it is to get a to replace the whole steering box. You'll want to get a redhead or borgeson steering box and NOT a rebuild from an auto store or you'll wind up with the same problem.

Old 07-07-2013, 11:20 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 297 Likes on 281 Posts

I've done this seal job many times. The key to making the lower steering box seal live is to ensure that the steering box is adjusted when replacing the seal. This can be done by loosening the nut on top of the steering box and tightening the allen screw just enough to remove the slop in the steering box output shaft. Looseness in the steering box output shaft is the biggest reason the lower seal leaks. You will need a 1-5/16" socket to remove the nut that holds the pitman arm on. Once the nut and lockwasher are removed, you will need a pitman arm tool to remove the pitman arm. There is a snap ring just above the pitman arm that keeps the seal in place. Remove the snap ring, then remove the seal - once the snap ring is removed, you can pop the seal out by starting the truck, as the pressure from the steering pump will push the seal out. Clean the steering box output shaft and housing area up really good with some brake cleaner and install the new seal and snap ring. Re-install the pitman arm, fill the steering system up with fluid and you should be good to go.

If you are fairly handy and have the time, this can be a do-it-yourself job. A pitman arm tool can be rented at most parts stores.

As was mentioned previously, the Dodge 2nd gen power steering boxes don't last forever. While this will fix the leak, if the truck wanders, even after fixing other worn front end parts, it may be time to replace the steering box.

Old 07-10-2013, 08:49 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

That's a great breakdown there AtomicDog! Thanks

Good info for everyone.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:47 PM
AtomicDog
Champion

Originally Posted by Wh1t3NuKle
That's a great breakdown there AtomicDog! Thanks

Good info for everyone.
Thanks! Just trying to share info as many others have done with me..

Old 07-20-2014, 06:25 PM
smoky614
Professional

Well I got the pitman arm off and im having trouble finding the snap ring. Ican see the rubber seal poking out around the shaft and a metal washer sitting on top(or rather under) and then the snap ring should be on top of washer right. Anyone else have this issue or is it just me!!

Old 07-20-2014, 07:50 PM
AtomicDog
Champion

Try spraying the pitman arm shaft area up in the steering gearbox down with some brake or carb cleaner. Next, clean that area up with a shop towel. You should see the large snap ring in there keeping the parts you mentioned in place.

Old 07-20-2014, 07:55 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,166 Likes on 2,920 Posts

It's an internal snap ring. Goes on the inside circumference of the steering box housing, not on the steering shaft.

Old 07-22-2014, 09:38 AM
CSDavies26
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have this exact same problem which is why my truck isn't on the road at the moment....my output shaft seal failed in catastrophic fashion and completely drained my ps fluid reservoir in the 5 mile drive from walmart to my house. It had only started leaking a day or two before this happened so I thought i still had some time before it just started streaming out!

I elected to go with a redhead rebuilt gearbox rather than mess around with seal kits...will be starting the install today

Old 07-22-2014, 10:25 PM
ClubCab5.9
Professional

All this work and no pic's. Care to share.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pittman PS arm seal leaking