2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

CAn a bad thermostat cause trans temp light/OD drop?

Old 07-22-2013, 10:43 AM
LoneWolfArcher
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CAn a bad thermostat cause trans temp light/OD drop? HELP! Need input!

A while back on a trip to the hunting property, I dropped OD. No Trans temp light.

Then on another trip back not only did OD drop but eventually the trans temp light came on.

Trans shop checked it out said trans is fine. They did the flowback tube delete mod thinking that might be the culprit.

Things got better, but OD drops and trans light still comes on eventually.

HOwever, I have noticed my temp gauge climbing to about 250, eventually dropping back down. Not only that but at idle I have no heat. So I am thinking it is the thermostat.

Could the thermostat also be causing the trans overheat problem?

Last edited by LoneWolfArcher; 08-02-2013 at 02:56 PM. Reason: Change title for input
Old 07-22-2013, 10:56 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,168 Likes on 2,922 Posts

More likely you are low on coolant. Classic symptoms there. Let the engine cool completely, pull the radiator cap, see what you see.

Old 07-22-2013, 11:02 AM
LoneWolfArcher
Professional

HeyYou, I love getting your responses!

Okay so I added coolant the other day. And the trans temp light seems to have stablized. However I am still getting the climbing temp at idle. I haven't tried the heat because, well, it's 90 degrees here and blows hot anyway! LOL

Old 07-22-2013, 04:31 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I'd change the T-stat regardless. But check the clutch on your fan.

Old 07-22-2013, 08:39 PM
ReadRam
All Star

Originally Posted by LoneWolfArcher
HeyYou, I love getting your responses!

Okay so I added coolant the other day. And the trans temp light seems to have stablized. However I am still getting the climbing temp at idle. I haven't tried the heat because, well, it's 90 degrees here and blows hot anyway! LOL
Sounds like a bad fan clutch if it climbs at idle. A new thermostat and radiator cap never hurts. And also the transmission fluid is cooled through the radiator.

Last edited by ReadRam; 07-22-2013 at 08:49 PM.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:03 AM
LoneWolfArcher
Professional

Okay, HeyYou was right. Was still low. I will have to burp it next time I am up north as I can park it on a hill and make sure all the air comes out of the system.

But with the added coolant I am now not getting the temp climb at idle and the heat is blowing hot at idle.

However, on my way into the office the od still kicked off. Trans temp light never illuminated but I am guessing if I had continued driving longer eventually the light would have illuminated.

I am guessing that it is either a trans cooler or a radiator issue?

Old 07-23-2013, 09:14 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Do you have the external trans cooler? (came with tow, or heavy duty package, sandwiched between radiator, and A/C condensor.... if you have A/C....)

I think you said the check valve has already been eliminated? (in the trans line by the radiator)

Might be time for an additional cooler plumbed in..... either that, or the temp sensor (part of the pressure sensor) is having some issues.

Old 07-23-2013, 11:28 AM
LoneWolfArcher
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Do you have the external trans cooler? (came with tow, or heavy duty package, sandwiched between radiator, and A/C condensor.... if you have A/C....)

I think you said the check valve has already been eliminated? (in the trans line by the radiator)

Might be time for an additional cooler plumbed in..... either that, or the temp sensor (part of the pressure sensor) is having some issues.
I don't think I do now that I think about it. I thought I did but I was looking the other night and I think it is just the AC condensor and radiator.

I am thinking a clogged cooler line. I don't do a lot of towing, and it is very light when I do, do you think I need the external trans cooler?

Old 07-23-2013, 12:37 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

You could try disconnecting the cooler lines at the trans, and back-flushing the system. See if that makes any difference. (sure won't hurt in any event...) That would also let you know if there was a blockage in there.....

Old 07-23-2013, 12:52 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Try this for the heck of it and see if any stored codes come up. https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...code-list.html

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: CAn a bad thermostat cause trans temp light/OD drop?