2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

95,3500 V10 starting issue

Old 07-11-2013, 07:52 PM
Risingsr
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95,3500 V10 starting issue

Hi all- I really need some help here! I have a 1995 Ram 3500, V10 has about 72,000 miles. It has always had a starting issue( at least the 3 years I have owned it) , hard to start, cranked for 30 seconds or so before it actually turned over. But, eventually it has always started. Until last week, wouldn't turn over at all. Took it to the shop, they said fuel pump was out. They replaced it, all good, started right up. Then brought it home. The "new" problem is that it starts just fine, but if you drive it at all ( even a 1/4 mile) and you turn it off, it will not start again for an hour or so unitl it apparently cools down.
Mechanic said he doesn't have a code reader that will fit . We did the key on, off, on off thing and it blink the code 12. And someone told me maybe it was the " fuse that connects the battery to the powertrain controller (which is what turns 'on' the check engine light) has a crack in its internal wire which 'opens' when it gets hot, and then closes when it cools down"
Mechanic said that he checked and it's not that.
If anyone has had a similiar problem and has a solution, I would truly appreciate any help, before I have to go rob a bank to pay the mechanic

Old 07-11-2013, 09:24 PM
Matt Nickerson
Record Breaker

A code 12 isn't anything, it means the battery had been recently disconnected or something..it will pretty much always show up with the key trick. Your symptoms sound like a failing crank sensor to me.

Old 07-11-2013, 10:01 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,170 Likes on 2,923 Posts

Need to find out what's missing when it won't start. Spark, or fuel. Do you hear the fuel pump prime when you turn the key on?

Old 07-11-2013, 11:43 PM
Risingsr

Thanks Matt, will ask him to check the crank sensor.
Hey you - The fuel pump was just replaced and he rechecked just to make sure it
wasn't a faulty part.
Is there a special plug to connect the computer in the 95? My mechanic said he didn't have a plug that fit. Wondering if a dodge dealer might be able to plug in?
Thanks for the help!!

Old 07-11-2013, 11:56 PM
Matt Nickerson
Record Breaker

It's a standard OBDI port as far as I know.
You're not gonna find any other codes besides the 12, only live data info.
And you gotta check for spark whenever the truck isn't starting. Pull a spark plug with the wire still attached and hold it to a good ground, crank it over. Should see a nice blue arc. And dont hold the wire/plug with your hand..probably wont feel too soothing.

Old 07-12-2013, 12:00 AM
Johnn123
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Matt Nickerson
It's a standard OBDI port as far as I know.
You're not gonna find any other codes besides the 12, only live data info.
And you gotta check for spark whenever the truck isn't starting. Pull a spark plug with the wire still attached and hold it to a good ground, crank it over. Should see a nice blue arc. And dont hold the wire/plug with your hand..probably wont feel too soothing.
The would be an electrifying experience!

Old 07-12-2013, 12:20 AM
Risingsr

LOL, well... if the bill gets much more I might just tell him he has to hold
the spark plug in his hand !
Would the crank sensor be something that would make it quit when running after
a while? Seems that whatever is going on gets corrected after the truck cools off.
They said that they let it run for about 45 minutes today, was just getting ready to
test drive it when it quit running, then wouldn't start until it sat for about an hour or so,
then started right back up

Old 07-12-2013, 12:56 AM
Paul DeHayes
Professional

I've heard of crank sensors not allowing the vehicle to crank back up after being cut off. Happened in my buddy's S-10 when we headed out for lunch one day. Truck cranked fine from cold, turned it off at the restaurant, and when he went to crank it back up, nadda. His mechanic pulled the codes (he had a CEL anyway) and that's how the problem was found. It's highly possible that it could be the case......

Old 07-12-2013, 08:26 AM
Risingsr

thanks Paul! I will get him to check that for sure. Will post when we find the issue!

Old 07-12-2013, 08:31 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,170 Likes on 2,923 Posts

Need three things for the engine to run. Spark, Fuel, and Air. I should hope air isn't the problem..... (although, stepping lightly on the gas when it won't start would test that theory)

Does the pump prime when the truck won't start?

Are you getting spark?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 95,3500 V10 starting issue