2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

loss is oil pressure when engine is up to temp

Old 12-21-2013, 10:39 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,170 Likes on 2,923 Posts

No bearings for pushrods. Those would just be Rod bearings. (connecting rod.)

If you drop all the main caps, you can pull the crank down just a little bit, and then kinda roll the upper bearings shells out. They have a 'key' on them, just a little nub that prevents them from spinning, so, bear that in mind when you try and drive them out. (they will be obvious when you have the caps off, and the surfaces cleaned.) I have done bearings that way on a couple motors. It's fun.... but, doable.

Old 12-21-2013, 12:59 PM
utahjd1
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow don't know why I said push rods. haha
.....thanks for the info

Originally Posted by HeyYou

If you drop all the main caps, you can pull the crank down just a little bit, and then kinda roll the upper bearings shells out. They have a 'key' on them, just a little nub that prevents them from spinning, so, bear that in mind when you try and drive them out. (they will be obvious when you have the caps off, and the surfaces cleaned.) I have done bearings that way on a couple motors. It's fun.... but, doable.

Old 12-21-2013, 02:31 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What oil are you using to achieve those new oil psi numbers? If you are still using 20-50 you still have a problem.

Old 12-22-2013, 12:59 AM
army_greywolf
Professional

I should hope no heavier than 10W30

Old 12-22-2013, 02:02 PM
ClubCab5.9
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou

Please dont comment on a repair you have never done on a ram truck. On a 2wd ram it is impossible to replace ALL the bearing without yanking the motor. All that work and no pics?

Old 12-22-2013, 02:45 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,170 Likes on 2,923 Posts

Originally Posted by ClubCab5.9
Please dont comment on a repair you have never done on a ram truck. On a 2wd ram it is impossible to replace ALL the bearing without yanking the motor. All that work and no pics?
LOLOLOL. I don't HAVE a 2wd.... therefore, if it doesn't apply to the 2bys, someone generally comes along to correct me. Currently, my truck is sitting in the garage with the oil pan off, and all the main caps are right there for all the world to see. It would be less than 20 minutes work to change them all. So, please do not presume to tell me what to post, and what not to post.

Old 12-22-2013, 07:59 PM
army_greywolf
Professional

Your not alone, I've done it before on cars AND trucks. Oh and it CAN be done on a 2wd without removing the motor but you do have to unbolt the engine mounts on both sides, take off the air hat and lift the engine with a cherry picker.

Last edited by army_greywolf; 12-22-2013 at 08:01 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: loss is oil pressure when engine is up to temp