2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Slotted rotors

Old 07-30-2013, 10:16 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,170 Likes on 2,923 Posts

Do your calipers release properly? Have you changed the front brake hoses? What about driving style? One foot or two? Manual or auto trans? What size tires? Tow/haul much?

Old 07-30-2013, 10:31 PM
Boatdaddy
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When you say they are warped- how much? Are just assuming they are warped from a pulsating pedal?

I have a feeling they are not warped, but that you need to properly bed you pads when you install them. Believe it or not rotors rarely warp.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:51 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by Boatdaddy
When you say they are warped- how much? Are just assuming they are warped from a pulsating pedal?

I have a feeling they are not warped, but that you need to properly bed you pads when you install them. Believe it or not rotors rarely warp.
That varies dramatically from person to person, and vehicle to vehicle. There are just way to many variables to make a blanket statement like that..... Even NEW rotors can be warped..... And all it takes is getting them too hot once, and you get a pulsation.

Old 07-30-2013, 11:31 PM
Boatdaddy
Amateur

Warped is a measurable defect, you can measure it with an indicator. A pulsation in the pedal does not mean the rotors are warped. Most times the pulsating is coming from not properly bedding the pads when they were new.

Of course I am new here and don't expect you to believe me, but I assure you I wouldn't come in here and lie to you.

And still, rotors rarely warp...we just fail to diagnose it properly.

Old 07-30-2013, 11:32 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rotors do warp when they get thin.

Ask me how I know.

Old 07-30-2013, 11:34 PM
Boatdaddy
Amateur

He stated his are new....not thin...different case.

The thing that stands out here is he said it was fine until he did a brake job. Then he says he keeps changing parts, and recreating the same fault. I am willing to bet he is not bedding the pads properly.

Last edited by Boatdaddy; 07-30-2013 at 11:41 PM.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:46 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know, I was just pointing out my experience. lol

Old 07-31-2013, 08:35 AM
Boatdaddy
Amateur

Originally Posted by dodge dude94
I know, I was just pointing out my experience. lol
I hear ya...

Old 07-31-2013, 08:48 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

My experience is somewhat different. I would routinely put NEW rotors on the lathe, as they were invariably a couple thousandths out even right out of the box. I only want to do the job once, not have a customer return with a pulsation a day later... We would rarely, if ever... go thru the bedding procedure on customer cars either. Unless it was something that was designed to be driven hard. (or, if it was a high-dollar value car, instruct the customer on how to do so.)

90% of folks that do their brakes in their driveway don't do the bedding procedure either..... I have also found, that 99% of the vehicles we got in for a pedal pulsation, turning the rotors and/or drums, would solve the issue. If the pads/shoes were marginal, those would get replaced as well. (probably 30% of the jobs.)

If he is throwing new rotors at it, and STILL has a pulsation, or, it comes back after some time span..... there is indeed something awry there. Just need to find out what.

Old 07-31-2013, 11:16 AM
Boatdaddy
Amateur

By turning the rotors you are removing the pad material from the rotor surface that has been transferred from the pad because they were not bedded. A few thou won't cause a pulsation.

I build race cars for factory race teams and supercars for the driving enthusiast. A few thousandths is actually quite good for a factory piece. Some of the high dollar pieces we see come in have more run-out than that and the braking is smooth.

I hope he finds the cause...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Slotted rotors