2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Front axle intermediate shaft

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 09:56 PM
rocky_mtn_ram
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Front axle intermediate shaft

So I recently decided to do my axle joints and saw my axle seal was leaking pretty bad on the passenger side. Took it all apart, including sliding the intermediate shaft out of the pumpkin and out of the axle tube so I could inspect everything. Pulled a new seal into place and I'm getting hung up on putting the intermediate shaft back in. It slides nicely down the tube and seems to be hitting something on the pumpkin side of the shaft. I have the cover off the diff. and tried to see if the teeth just aren't aligning but I really cannot tell. I would think if that was the issue, simply rotating the intermediate shaft until the teeth align it should slide in. Is there something I'm missing here? Thanks as always gents...and ladies, should they choose to participate...haha.

2001 Ram 1500 Sport 360 4x4 front axle has vacuum central axle disconnect.

Last edited by rocky_mtn_ram; 08-29-2013 at 09:59 PM.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:23 PM
COL
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just went through the same thing on my truck, but when I did it I pulled the whole gear set out of the pumpkin. I too had trouble getting the intermediate shaft to slide back into the gear set but with some persistance I was able to get it in there. BTW when I did mine I never pulled the intermediate shaft all the way out, Just slid it out and let it lay. Be sure it is not getting hung up on the seal. Also another tip is to put the engine and transfer case in N (Neutral) so you can spin the gear set by hand. Easiest is to have someone else rotate the drive shaft as it will spin the gears and it should slide in. A little bit of grease goes a long ways too!

Old 08-29-2013, 11:07 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

is it stuck outside the passenger side axle seal, or is it into the pumpkin area?

if its only missing that last inch or so of going in, then the splines are not meshing with the side gears inside the carrier. see if you can rotate the shaft back and forth and get it to go. if not, wiggle the spider gears/carrier back and forth a little. it'll go.

Old 08-30-2013, 12:15 AM
rocky_mtn_ram
Professional

I'm a goofball I'm pretty sure. I bet the larger splines on the shaft on the outside are hitting the seal. The shaft barely fits through the old seal when it's out. So I bet it's not gonna go through once the new seal is compressed into the housing. Dang it...I've spent almost $50 on seals due to munching the first couple using the wrong tool for the job. Haha...o well. Still bet I saved some cash in the end compared to paying someone to do it.

Lesson learned.

Old 08-30-2013, 10:33 AM
wv ram
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its easy to hang up the axle shaft on the seal when sliding it back the tube , i ve had best luck with transfer case in neutral , have fun !

Old 08-30-2013, 02:14 PM
merc225hp
Champion

Fine splines into the side gear, not the course. The rubber part of the seal does not change dia once its installed. I made up this little tool for installing the intermediate shaft bearing/bushing and the seal 7/8 socket some left over hole-saw bits and carriage bolt. I did this work in the cad I found it ezer then trying to pull the seal into place and beat the bearing/bushing into place from outside the diff. This pushes the seal/bearing into place by turning the one nut.

Thats the old bearing in the pix.

Name:  2013-08-30_10-52-09_85_zps8e6078d7.jpg
Views: 921
Size:  38.0 KB

Old 08-30-2013, 06:32 PM
rocky_mtn_ram
Professional

Well thanks for the input fellas. Got er' buttoned up this morning. The intermediate shaft was just not being supported towards the pumpkin end when trying to install it. So adjusting the angle of the fine spline (diff) end, it slid right home. Just wanted to say thanks, and post results for posterity. Unfortunately, I now see at least 6 more things that need attention. Leaking PS box, ball joints, brakes are borderline...haha. Never ends!

Old 08-30-2013, 09:35 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

Originally Posted by rocky_mtn_ram
Unfortunately, I now see at least 6 more things that need attention. Leaking PS box, ball joints, brakes are borderline...haha. Never ends!
welcome to dodge-ville. after you replace everything it will be in good shape.

Quick Reply: Front axle intermediate shaft